Switch to Warwick Corvette FNA?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rickreyn, Sep 29, 2000.

1. rickreyn

rickreyn Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I was thinking of selling my Carvin 5 and Ibanez 4 for a Warwick Corvette 5 with active jazz pickups. I briefly owned a Corvette FNA 4 and didn't really take to it because I am pretty much married to 5 strings. I played the Warwick 5 in the store and liked the tone and variations available. While the neck is thicker than my asymetrical neck, it feels good, and the string spacing is not too different. I play with my fingers (don't slap) and the Warwick seems to get more pop than my Carvin. I would characterize the Carvin sound as warm and the Warwick as rich. I know these either or questions are endless, but maybe someone as compared the two guitars and can be helpful. As for the Ibanez, I'm thinking I'll just put all my eggs in one basket. Thanks for your contribution.
  2. I own an FNA 5 string. I have tried it back to back with two Carvin fives and a number of Ibanez basses and the Warwick has come out on top. I like the FNA better than the regular Corvettes as I found they had a deeper tone and more output.(I believe the corvettes I played were passive while my FNA is active) It is a very playable bass and also quite stunning visually. My only dislike is that I could use a slightly wider string spacing for slapping. If you don't slap it shouldn't be a problem.
  3. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I own a Corvette 4 string JJ active. Here's my thoughts. The sound of this thing is incredible - really deep and rich, it growls too, and the electronics are almost too active. I can't really crank the bass or treble cause it gets too hot - but I play really hard. If you already owned a Warwick I don't have to tell you about the look and feel. They just seem different from all other basses.

A few downers you might want to consider though. The bubinga bodies weigh a ton - and it didn't really bug me till I played a few gigs with it. I jump around a lot, and it starting wrecking my back (I wound up buying a much lighter Music Man for this reason). Also, the Warwicks made today feel a lot different to me than the ones made when I bought mine (around 1997). Someone told me that they can't make the entire neck out of wenge anymore and that that has something to do with it, someone else told me the Warwick factories have grown some new machines and less of the work is done by hand. The first is true, the latter I don't know.

I really feel a big difference. You might want to check out some used Warwicks before making a final decision - my guess is people are going to catch on to this sooner or later and the older ones are going to become more valuable. I don't think anyone has really really noticed the difference yet. Also - you can tell the older ones by the adjustable brass nut - they changed it soon after I purchased mine with some sort of locking black plastic thing.

Good luck.

Sep 10, 2000
    warwicks are way above carvins and exponentially above ibanezes
    good luck getting one

btw hehe how much would you sell the carvin for?
  5. bste9

Jun 15, 2000
    St. Louis
    About the warwick woods, i also heard that the country in africa, where they get the bubinga, there i some kind of civil war going on or something and the bubinga is becoming hard to get. But that is just what i have heard.
  6. air_leech

Sep 1, 2000

You shouldn't be bothered with the weight and availiability of Bubinga (Bujbinga) because the Corvette FNA doesn't use Bubinga for body wood but rather an ash body with a flame maple top and a thin walnut veneer in between them.

I seen some really beautyful FNAs but I think you should go for the Warwick FNA Jazzman, it's basically an FNA with an added J PU in the neck (a' la Lakland) and a switch for pickup selection (HB soloed, HB and J parllel and HB+J series).

the Jazzman is only 200 dollars more I think and will pose you a greater value as you will be able to coax out some of the Carvin sounds (they actually use that configuration too on some of their models) as well as the FNA/Stingray sounds.

whatever choice you'll make I'm sure you will be satisfied, hopefuly I'll be getting me a Warwick too(streamer LX5) in the near future ;-)
  7. rickreyn

rickreyn Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I was really trying to describe a Corvette Standard 5, not an FNA. Perhaps your responses would have been different?
  8. air_leech

Sep 1, 2000

Oh sorry, I was sure you were asking about the FNA 5 string.

anyway, I tried out a Corvette 5 string Passive-Passive in Ash and while it played great and was very light and beautiful (burgundy oil finish, a blast!) it didn't have the sound I like and unfortunatly had only ONE sound (you actually control only the Treble, the bass knob does appearently nothing!). but it might be just the amplification because it went through a Peavey TNT.
    anyway try one, if you like that sound then go ahead, you'll probably never regret it.
    if you don't like the passives go for the Actives, they got a bypass so you won't miss the passive tone and they also have a pan knob which the passive corvette lack.
    maybe go for a Corvette Active 5 with ash body and you can loose the curse of the Bubinga's weight...

overall, I liked all Warwicks I heard so far, both on records and live and I hope that my Streamer LX5, which I orderd last week, will be no different :) I think they already started work on her...

9. Bubinga is still pretty easy to come by, as there are relatively politically stable countries (Gabon, Cameroon) that have bubinga trees.

Wenge, on the other hand, comes mostly from Zaire/Congo, and as such is getting very hard to come by.