Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Switchable Fretted/Fretless bass!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Subculture13, Feb 27, 2006.

1. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    I don't know if this has been posted before or not, but I just discovered this so I thought I'd point it out.

Here is a link to a bass that has a switch on it to convert from fretted to fretless http://www.mikeyguitar.com.

A coworker is one of the designer/builders, and said they now have a patent on it. I played one of them just a few minutes ago and couldn't believe how easily and well it worked. There was no gap at all in the fretboard in either mode, i was stunned.

My Coworker is also the guy doing the bass playing in the video clips they have on the site.

Sorry if this sounds like spam, I am in no way affiliated with the company, other than having a day job working with one of the developers, in a job not at all related to him as an inventor. I just wanted to let everyone know about it, the website doesn't do a good job of telling you what it is they do, but the video clips tell the story great on their own.

It really works, and that well, I was left utterly stunned.

2. It's been on here a few times - nice idea, but tell them from me that I'LL only be buying one if they AT LEAST halve the price!:bag:

3. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    I dont doubt they could make them cheaper if they didn't make 100% of the instrument inhouse. I'll admit I was surprised when I saw what they sell them for, I expected a good $1k less at least. Since it is a bolt on neck anyway, why not fit it to a Warmoth body or something.

I do find it odd though that some people have no problem shelling out $5k+ for an exotic boutique bass, but skoff at this boutique bass which is in the same price range and offers more.