1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Switchable Fretted/Fretless bass!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Subculture13, Feb 27, 2006.

1. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    I don't know if this has been posted before or not, but I just discovered this so I thought I'd point it out.

Here is a link to a bass that has a switch on it to convert from fretted to fretless http://www.mikeyguitar.com.

A coworker is one of the designer/builders, and said they now have a patent on it. I played one of them just a few minutes ago and couldn't believe how easily and well it worked. There was no gap at all in the fretboard in either mode, i was stunned.

My Coworker is also the guy doing the bass playing in the video clips they have on the site.

Sorry if this sounds like spam, I am in no way affiliated with the company, other than having a day job working with one of the developers, in a job not at all related to him as an inventor. I just wanted to let everyone know about it, the website doesn't do a good job of telling you what it is they do, but the video clips tell the story great on their own.

It really works, and that well, I was left utterly stunned.

2. It's been on here a few times - nice idea, but tell them from me that I'LL only be buying one if they AT LEAST halve the price!:bag:

3. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    I dont doubt they could make them cheaper if they didn't make 100% of the instrument inhouse. I'll admit I was surprised when I saw what they sell them for, I expected a good $1k less at least. Since it is a bolt on neck anyway, why not fit it to a Warmoth body or something.

I do find it odd though that some people have no problem shelling out $5k+ for an exotic boutique bass, but skoff at this boutique bass which is in the same price range and offers more.