1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Switchable greasebucket and “normal” tone controls P bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Peter Mathews, Dec 11, 2018.

1. I have just acquired a 2008 Highway ONE Precision, and what a superb instrument it is. I used it for the first time a practice last night and loved the bass, but I sounded like Jean-Jacques Burnell on every number! No bad thing but sometimes the song doesn’t need it. I have read on here somewhere that it is possible to install a push-pull pot which will switch in, or out, the Fender Greasebucket circuit with a standard P Bass capacitor circuit, which I think would make the bass super versatile. Anyone got a circuit diagram?
    Best..
    Peter

murphy likes this.
  2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    why bother?

the only difference between the two is that on "0" the regular tone pot will give you a subtle low-mid boost while the "greasebucket" doesn't.

if you don't run your tone knob to "0" then there's no point worrying about it.

BeefPie84 likes this.
  3. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Props for my favourite bass player...band

4. BeefPie84

BeefPie84

Mar 29, 2019
    I thought the grease bucket was horrible. I got rid of mine then wired it up like a regular P Bass.