1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Switched To Flats - Buzz on D & G from 7th to 16th

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by RudyTardy, Apr 16, 2019.

Tags:
  1. RudyTardy

RudyTardy Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I have a brand new Custom Shop fretted P bass, which was playing very well with the stock strings (Fender 7250 .45-105). I prefer the sound of flats on a precision so I ordered a pair of Labella 760FL (43-104).

The new strings play and feel great with a light touch all across the neck. However, if I just barely start to dig in on the D and G strings, I get that mwah buzz sound anywhere above the 7th fret up to the 16th. The relief looks to be about right after I did a truss adjustment of about 1/8 turn clockwise, leaving .012 (0.3mm)" of relief. The string heights also look bang on according to the Fender setup guide (2mm on the G and 2.4mm on the E).

Seems I should leave the truss rod alone since the E and A strings work well. I couldn't seem to tighten it any further than this anyway and I don't want to force it. Is this something to be expected with Labellas? Anything I should try? Note also that raising the saddles didn't seem to help much!

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
  2. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    *Tightening* the trussrod to minimize fretbuzz is 180 degrees wrong.

3. RudyTardy

Aug 20, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Even if the relief is correct and I went from roundwounds to flats?

4. RudyTardy

Aug 20, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Also the majority of the fretboard is fine. E and A strings work up and down the neck beautifully. D and A are perfect up to the 7th. The problem still exists with .015” of relief in the neck.

Perhaps these strings need to just be broken in? Advice from any Labella 760FL users would be greatly appreciated!

5. Rallypoint_1

Rallypoint_1 Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2010
    Pasadena, California
    I had to adjust my truss rod when I went from medium chromes to the 760FL. It had to be loosened . Seems like the Chromes have more tension. So when the La Bella’s were on the relief was way less than .012” A little lefty loosey helped!!

6. RudyTardy

Aug 20, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Thanks @Rallypoint_1. Appreciate it. The stock rounds that came on the CS were those Fender 7250s I believe. If I give the neck more relief, can I subsequently lower the E and A to maintain the same action?

I’m using a .012” feeler under the 8th fret with the first and 17th fret pressed and it seems to get under there without pushing the string up. Maybe I’m doing it wrong!

7. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    I would just go left 1/4 turn on the Truss rod and see how it is for a while. Then if you really want lower action, You can lower the saddles a little bit.

8. lowplaces

lowplaces Got Punch ?

Dec 20, 2015
    Louisville Kentucky
    If you are sure the relief is correct, then raise the action on the D & G string until there is no buzz.

Any setup guide is just a starting point.

9. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    Relief will have little to no effect from 7 to 16th fret. You should be looking at saddle height or eneven frets.

10. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Use your ears to tell you if the relief is correct. Not your eyes.

JLS likes this.
  11. RudyTardy

Aug 20, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Well. I took the TI flats off my Sadowsky, put them on the P and BAM. Setup is basically perfection. Bye bye Labellas. The P bass chose for me. The E and A strings on the Labellas were fine... maybe the D and G were bad... or maybe they would have mellowed over time and allowed more dynamics but its not worth it for me to wait.

You would think that going to the low tension TIs would have required a truss change... not so much!
    Thank you everyone for your assistance.

Robert Darby and Matt Liebenau like this.