1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Switchfoot Bass Effect - This is Your Life

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by b to g is yummy, Jul 28, 2007.

1. Does anyone know what effect / pedal they use for this song?
    I think its either a fuzz or some sort of a synth.

I saw them in concert a while ago and it sounded so sweet.

Not related to effects...but their bass player has a really cool style which i dig.

2. asherthemachine

asherthemachine

Sep 22, 2006
    most likely ( just a guess) its a synth, because i know they are sponsored by korg. again, just a shot in the dark.

3. The bassist does play that on a bass, although on the live DVD I saw of them, he only used distortion, possibly a Electro Harmonix Big Muff Pi. On the CD, though, there is delay and an envelope filter in addition to the distortion.

4. superkicky

superkicky Guest

Sep 3, 2005
    I copped the tone with my bass tuned to drop C or C#, a Zvex Woolly Mammoth, Ibanez SB7 and Line 6 Echo Park... you could try something like that as well :)

5. shawn-o

shawn-o

Jan 29, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB
    I saw them this spring. Amazing show forsure. I ended up meeting jon (the singer) after the show. Very personable guy and super cool to talk to.

(From the show)---
    403965454_19c23f2418.

6. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process...

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    :eek: That's a Lakland!! :eek:

7. Yeah, he's been playing Laklands for a couple of years.

8. one

one

Aug 21, 2006
    Boston.UK
    Im not 100% sure on this, but i am led to believe that he runs two signals.
    One dry
    One wet
    (obviously)

I cannot back this however.

9. Coeball

Coeball

Aug 25, 2007
    UK
    yeah he used to use musicmans but seems to have switched. Interestingly he using a Active Lakland decade not the passive one.

10. Guest043

Guest043 Guest

Apr 8, 2008
    uh oh..is that a wireless system...

when will these rockstar types ever learn..:scowl:

11. Ampeg SVT

Ampeg SVT Son, I am disappoint.

Most professional musicians use them to my knowledge.
    I personally cant afford a good one but i think they are neat if they are good enough they wont degrade your signal enough.

12. Coeball

Coeball

Aug 25, 2007
    UK
    I wish I had a wireless.

13. where are the know-it-alls when you need them?? those ppl " i just saw switchfoot last night and afterwords tim showed me his gear and he uses a ...... :)

and in terms of wireless....i've seen lots of big Christian artists use them without any troubles, at least that I was able to notice. Someday maybe i'll get one too :)

14. irvinz

irvinz

Nov 23, 2006
    Australia
    has too much gas
    i knwo for the oh gravity! recording he used a pod =p

15. mattq

mattq

May 23, 2006
    Santa Cruz, CA
    that's all he plays is a pod. he actually runs his gk amps as a slave for the pod. which is sacrilege, i know, but he makes it sound good. and pretty intense sounding for that intro as well

16. Sweeto. This is Your Life is an older song tho. He does have a sweet overdrive or something on Oh! Gravity. I think it's in Awakening, that there's a sweet short driving drum/bass that i really really dig.

17. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Oh, well, naturally. They've got a clear advantage over non-Christians, especially smaller ones.

18. Coeball

Coeball

Aug 25, 2007
    UK
    The discussion is digressing slightly, personally I think for the so he uses just a hint of drive. The bassline sounds weird enough dry.

19. Smart man. Well almost anyways. According to this bass player article he actually uses the POD for his live tone shaping, so I'm guessing there's a good chance this is the effect that I heard. Interesting :)

http://www.bassplayer.com/article/tim-foreman-/apr-07/26356

almost makes me think maybe I shoulda tried out my POD a little longer, but I probably thought 'what pro uses these?'

:eek: