Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Switchfoot foot switch

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Worshiper, Oct 16, 2004.

1. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    I never use bass effects because the styles of music I usually play don't require them. However, after hearing one of my favorite bands, switchfoot's, songs, I have decided to give some effects a whirl. the one effect that I'm after is kind of a moderate distortion and is used to play the intro to Switchfoot's song "this is your life". Does anybody know what the effect that Tim Foreman, the bassist uses here. If anyone knows that would be awsome. Thanks a bunch

2. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA

Not sure of the song or the sound you are talking about but I read some where that he uses a Tech21 SansAmp.

3. jonathanl

jonathanl

Jan 12, 2003
    Orinda, CA
  4. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    He uses two Sansamps. One for overdrive and one for regular sound. He also uses a Z. Vex Whooley Mammoth.

5. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    thanks but do you know if he uses teh overdrive for this song?
    i.e. "this is your life"

6. LWatford

LWatford

Jul 28, 2001
    Helena, AL
    Are you talking about the intro line or when the real bass comes in?

7. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
  8. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    can't anybody help me out here?

9. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I don't know the song, can you post a link to a sample?

10. mw

mw

Jul 24, 2000
    Cali
    i saw them live once a while ago... they put on a good show. don't know the song you are talking about. but i think he had a proco rat or big muff on the floor in addition to the above setup...

man i'd like to get that zvex pedal...

11. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    He plays through 2 BDDI (as previously mentioned) and a ZVEX Wooly Mammoth. However, neither are used to get the effect of the intro. In actuality, it's a synth bass line, but it can easily be acheived by buying a bass synth pedal. For a cheaper level synth, I would reccomend the Digitech X series Bass Synth.

12. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    might be a fuzzed up moog also......i think?

13. LWatford

LWatford

Jul 28, 2001
    Helena, AL
    Sounds like a synth to me also.

14. jp_pxpx

jp_pxpx

Mar 22, 2006
    I'm pretty sure he uses a Z-vex wooly mammoth, it may be a fuzz pedal, but the more you adjust the knobs you get this huge fuzzy synth sound. So huge that if you don't turn your tone knobs down it shakes everything. The pedal is pretty expensive I ordered mine from the z-vex website and it ended up costing around $250 American, it's been awhile so i could be alittle off.