Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

switchin' to bass.. need help

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by greatmudshark, Sep 6, 2005.

1. greatmudshark

greatmudshark

Sep 6, 2005
    hey all! VERY new to bass. iv'e been playing guitar for about 11 years. tried flamenco, folk, and metal. just started getting into FUNK :hyper: , p-funk, and primus(cant beleive that les!)
    i hope to be good enough for next year. im startin up a funk band. i want to be able to do the crazy stuff that les does. will i get the same sound from slapping with a mexican fretless standard fender? AND ive heard different things about a comb amp and gettin a small rig. the amp will heat up after 4-5 hrs of playing and a chance of bustin it? and something about using a sonic compressor or something to make a cleaner sound?

2. xxajr8xx

xxajr8xx

Aug 31, 2005
    westbrook,CT
    ya evrything sounds good so far and primus defenetly is a sick band, les claypool has got to be like one of the greatest bassests the only thing is ive never herd of a mexican fretless standard fender.so idk but other than that rock on!!

3. Well I have heard of fretless Mexican Fender Jazzes. But I gotta say that you're going to have a real hard time getting Les' tone from that bass. He plays custom basses with EMG pickups and preamps. Not to mention his technique contributes heavily to his tone. I'm sure when you play Primus songs they'll be easily recognizable, they just won't sound like his Carl Thompson. Good luck. :)

4. Well Les has a VERY unique tone Im pretty sure, (unlike most slapping bassists) He plays through a more gritty Tube amp I beleive a MESA 400+ which will cost an arm and a leg. umm If you like funk I think the J-bass was a good choice well some tips

(just my liking for tone maybe not yours)

but in funk and others If your not slapping I like a nice, deep , bassy tone thats just screams funk.

If your slapping I also think you made a right choice but I tihnk you may want a fretted also.

And well Welcome to Talkbass and good luck in bass It's very fun in my opinion :bassist: (Check out Infectious grooves) you might like them

What I'm slso saying is it's very hard to replicate Les's tone so well make your own or the classic deep bassy tone

5. greatmudshark

greatmudshark

Sep 6, 2005
    infectious grooves are cool.. all i have is sarsippius ark. are there any more?