Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Switchin' to Flats

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Bassline1414, Jan 7, 2001.

1. Sup guys, I've been playing a Fender American P-Bass with roundwounds for about 2 years and I like the sound, but I want something with a little more bottom end, so I've decided to switch to flatwounds. Any suggestions on which flatwound brands are the best?

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    If you're looking for the traditional flatwound sound, Fender 9050's, GHS Precision Flatwounds, or La Bella flats should work. Maybe Ernie Balls as well, I haven't tried them. Thomastik-Infeld flats are pretty different, but they sound good. I find the Rotosound 77's to be brighter, without as much bottom.

3. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    TI Jazz Flats are great, take a little breaking in and are low tension for a flatwound string. I thought the G on the Fender 9050's was a little too twangy.

4. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    You might want to try Labella tapewounds. They are roundwound under the nylon tape, and give lots of bottom with maybe a little more highs than regular flats. I have only used them on fretless, though.

5. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Same situation...I am playing Fender 9050's on my MIA Precision. I will never string this bass with roundwounds again!!! At first, I wasn't too sold, but after the strings have broken in a bit, (1 month or so...they've been on for 6 months now), I am getting the TONE out of this bass!!!

I am also diggin' the flatwound sound on my fretless!

-robert

6. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    MJB-Yeah, the twangy G syndrome. :D That's one big advantage of the TI's - they have an awesome G string. It seems like most G's are a little twangy, but the TI is really nice, once broken in. I'm gonna try TI's again one of these days.

7. Yeah, I have Ernie Ball flats on my fretless, but I haven't compared them to anything yet, and I was just wondering if something was better. How much would TI's run me anyways? I only got the EB's cuz they were so damn cheap!

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I ordered my new Lakland 55-94 fretless with Lakland flats on it. Rumour has it that they're made by GHS. I won't have it 'til Thursday, though, so I can't tell you how they sound yet.

9. Yep, they are made by GHS, but they are custom wound for Lakland. You won't find any GHS labeled strings that are the "equivalent".

My guess is that you are going to love the sound with the Joe Osborn flats!

10. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    I love the sound of those Pyramid Golds but they cost about $60 for a four string set.

One thing to keep in mind, I have noticed that flats wear out quicker than rounds if you are into much string poping.

I also love the silky smooth chrome flats that a few manufacturers make. I think they are the roundest sounding flats.

11. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    I have flatwounds on an old Ibanez bass...they're quite thin for flatwounds, and they're on the bass for more than a year now, still sound really great.

I like flatwounds, but sonically, they're limited to some styles, but don't let that bother you...I played it with downtuned bigmuff rock guitar stuff, and it holds up and does it nicely.

Good luck finding flatwounds in the store at all, I had to do some travelling.

12. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I just put a set of TI flats on my Peavey Palaedium. I had tried them on my MIA 75 Reissue Jazz and didn't like they way they sounded. Put 'em on my '78 fretless PBass and didn't like the way the sounded. Thought I'd try them on my Palaedium, and they sound absolutely amazing. The Pbass ended up with Labella James Jamerson flats (50-110's) after a nice truss rod tweak so I didn't end up with a paraboilic bass. The Jazz ended up with Lakland Joe Osborn flats. It's all about pairing the strings with the bass. I have found that it is more neccessary to do this with flats than rounds, but YMMV. My lovely girlfriend is getting me a digital 8-track for my birthday next month, so I hope to have some MP3's on the web in the near future. I'll definitely have a "This is the sound of my bass" section since I'm a freakin' gear dweeb. Heh....Gear is cool....