Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Switching a Low B to a High C?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Ugly Cassanova, Sep 11, 2003.

1. What do I have to do to go abouts doing this?

New bone, new bridge? I've got a Warwick Corvette 5'er but it doesn't have Active pickups and the B sounds like GARBAGE. Plus I have no need to use it.

Thanks in advanced.

2. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

There are are number of threads here on B setup.

WHY does is sound like 'Garbage'

We need to know more about tone, buzzing, rig,
    string style - flat/round - etc, before you can get meaningful input.

Please define.

To change to E A D G C you would likely require
    changes in the nut, not likely the bridge saddles.

Easier to fix the B, I would think,

Please be more specific.

Thanks
    Thor

3. Since my bass doesn't have active pickups, it doesn't really pick up the B string real well.

Plus i'd use the high C much more then the low B.

4. Active or passive doesn't really matter, a good B string is a good B string, likewise, one on a badly built bass will sound bad.

Im not saying you bass is bad, Im saying active vs passive really doesn't matter. If you think its the pickups, upgrade them, better pickups will do wonders if your current ones aren't portraying the B string as you'd like to hear it. Also conside what the above poster said and tell us strings, gauge and what not.

If you don't feel you need it and would get more out of a C string, than thats a whole nother story. In that case a new nut would be necessary. Im not sure if your warwick comes with the adjustable brass one or a plastic nut, but thats all you would really need besides a good setup afterwards.

5. kaboom133

kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    i'd also like to know this, because i want a high c, but i don't want a low B, so that rules out a sixer.

6. I have been playing an Ibanez 5 string for about the last 9 years with a high C string. I had to do nothing with the nut, just buy the different strings. GHS makes a 5 string set that comes with a .30 gauge C string. try those out.

7. Not to be judgemental, but what I dont get is why one wouldnt want a 6er. Just a high C? get a tenor bass, otherwise the low B and high C can actually be complementary (some really good octave lines) and I dont see how a low B would get in the way (except string spacing). High C is good, but dont rule out 6ers because of an extra low string (which can come in handy).

8. if i were to actually get a 6er then i would actually tune it EADGCF. this is the tuning of the Conklin 7-string that i played, minus the low B. it isn't that the B got in the way or anything, i just never used it. PLaying funk, R&B, disco, jazz, etc., i never really found a comfortable use or sound articulation while gigging. i suppose i am following in the footsteps of Nigel Tufnel (Spinal Tap) and playing "lead" bass (on Big Bottom). i play a large amount of lead lines, comping 3 and 4 note chord voicings, and soloing. With the high C i can actually double the guitar's progressions while ole' Guitar-zan is soloing. To B, or to C. that is the question. it is just a personal preference for every low frequency bowel disrupter out there. what's YOUR poison?