Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Switching a righty Warwick Corvette

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by nerf, Jul 30, 2004.

1. nerf

nerf

Jun 4, 2004
    ...to a lefty....? I play lefty, and found an Ocean blue righty Corvette 4 string in a pawn shop yesterday for $589. Not a brass nut so I think it's '98 or newer. I can probably get the guy to go lower (525-550), pretty good condition, I'd say 7.5 out of 10. Slight neck bow, shouldn't be any problem to get out. Plugged it up to an old bassman 60 and it sounded fantastic. Playing at the neck pickup, the knobs don't get in the way at all (I play there 90% of the time). Think I can get by at the bridge pickup. Switching over at the bridge doesn't seem to be much problem, looking at the saddles, they seem to be an easy swap. Does the height adjustment at the nut come all the way out so you can flip it around? It looks to be symetrical. Also, do you think drilling the new hole for the strap on the other side will cause any balance problems? I know I can get a new Rockbass for about the same price in a lefty, but it isn't a true Warwick. I'm going back tomorrow for another look.

Thanks!

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I don't think it would balance correctly, in your situation, I would pass until I found a similar deal in a left handed model.

I have a 96 Vette and if I wanted to, I could string it left handed as the individual adustable nut screws all have the same threads (I don't know a thing about the Just-a-nut II though). The necessary pieces in the bridge can also be changed like this.

So, if you absolutely must have that bass, the necessary changes probably could be made, but I still would advise against doing that.

3. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    If I were to drop that much on a used bass, it better have the knobs on the correct end! But seriously, scan eBay and get a real lefty bass. Lefty Warwicks come up every now and again...