Switching a Spector for a Warwick?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Diomedes, Sep 21, 2005.

1. Diomedes

Sep 3, 2005
    Hey guys, about a week ago I got a Spector ReBop4 DLX at GC for 900 instead of the Warwick Corvette that was there for the same price because I liked the sound (or so I thought) and the active pickups. When I first played it, I noticed a little metallic-ish sound that wasn't present on really any other bass I played within my price range. I thought it added a little character, and man did the bass put out sound. However, I was running it thru a GK Backline115 Combo amp (which is what I own) instead of something louder because that's what I'll need to upgrade too, which I should have done to see which one would serve me better down the road. A few days after buying it, I took it my bands little practice room and hooked up a small Backline112 cab to my amp and started to play. The mettalic sound was a little louder and a little more annoying, but still bearable. Then I went to GC again today and hooked it up to a GK head with a pretty big cab under it, something I would consider for gigging. It sounded baaaaaaaaad. The metallic sound was so loud it was louder than the note. Upon hooking up the Warwick, I noted how you could still get really loud even without active pickups and it sounded great. Now my question is, do I go ahead and return the Spector and get the Warwick (which would be a clean swap, theyre both 900) or just stick with it? Also, any other basses to consider? I don't like Fender that much, or Ibanez, and Music Man is ok, but not really what I like. The other bass that kinda caught my eye was a Line 6 Variax, but I'm wondering if it's too complex to be practical.

Any help is appreciated.
  2. Spectors are reknown for their bright tone. Did you turn the onboard preamp's treble control all the way down? Also, if the strings are new, they're gonna sound more metallic until they are broken in.

However, if you dislike your bass' tone, there's no need to keep it. Sometime down the road you'll want to change it. I've never tried a Warwick, but I hear they have a growlier and woodier tone.
  3. howie

Aug 29, 2005
    Hey Diomedes!

I'm not really sure what you mean by "metallic sound", although i'm guessing you are referring to all of the noises on the fret board that the EMG's in the Spectors tend to pick up. Am I even close here? If that is what you are referring to and that isn't your type of sound then I would say try out the Warwick and see how it sounds at high volumes. I was personally never a big fan of the EMG pickups, they almost sound like they are too "hot" and pick up a little too much additional noise for my liking. I think the tones you can get are great, but for me that additional fret noise that you get is to just too much of a drawback. I will say that when i see someone else play one that I do love their sound and I also think they are great basses, but they just aren't for me. Right now I am playing a Warwick Thumb Bolt-on and I love it.

Good luck on your quest!
  4. cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :bag:

Swap a Spector for a Warwick?!? :bag: Yikes!

It's probably just that the treble is too bright. Reduce the treble and adjust the amp accordingly...... :bassist:
  5. StarchMan

Jul 30, 2003
    haha I'm actually doing the opposite. Getting rid of an old Warwick and buying a Spector Euro LX. The new Euros are sexy as hell.
  6. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Fixed it for you ;)

spectors are not available here, so I can't compare them, but of all that I've heard on recordings, you can always hear their nasal high-mid :yuck:

Warwicks have a low-mid presence instead, which is commonly referred to as growl. And it is good, especially if it's amped well.

However, 900 is a bit steep for a passive Corvette, especially for a GC. From what I've heard, many get them for 800-850 (or even less), maybe you can talk the price down a bit.
  7. cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Fixed it back again... it was right first time. ;) Thanks anyway! :smug: