1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Switching Bart P4 soapbars to Nordstrands?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by smeet, Jan 2, 2007.

1. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I have a 35" scale 6 string, ebony fingerboard with Bartolini P4 soapbars and the Bart 3-band active eq. It sounds great but it's too smooth, I want something more aggressive that cuts through the mix better. I would like to be able to get a warm and clean sound, but also be much more in-your-face (without losing bottom). I need more "pop" on my attack (fingerstyle). My passive Jazz has that pop.

Brian over at Best Bass Gear recommended the Nordstrom dual-coil (DC6). I was also looking at their Fat Stacks. Anybody have experience comparing these to each other or to the Barts? Any other recommendations for P/Us to look at?

I also have the same questions about the preamp. Should I stay with the Bart or look at Audere, or something else?

Thanks for your wisdom...

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

you didn't say if the Bart pre has a passive mode, which is something to consider if not. At any rate, since they're in the bass I'd wire them straight to the jack before deciding on a pup swap. It would also tell how much the pre passive circuit mode is affecting the tone.

There are plenty of posts about Barts being aggressive and used for slap (which I'm guessing is the pop your referring to).

If I was satisfied the sound of the pups overall and the passive check didn't cut it, I'd look into something external, probably something that can be stomped on and off - Sans Di whatever.

If I wasn't safisfied with the existing pups then I'd look elsewhere. I don't hear many complaints about Nords and they've had good resale value to date. No dis to bestbass but if you had Nords they'd probably recommend Barts since they can't eat the stuff sitting on their shelves.

3. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Bypassing the preamp is a good idea. The pre does not have a passive mode. The bass sounds good for slap, but the highs are muted sounding with fingerstyle. The "pop" I am referring to is the nice defined fingerstyle attack I get on my passive Jazz.

By "looking elsewhere" are you saying don't look at at BestBass? To their credit, they did suggest checking out the passive sound before swapping pickups.

I have to admit, part of me just wants a change, so I'm biased towards changing pickups. And my pre too. Logic cannot dissuade me. :D

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

like I said, wasn't dis'ing bestbass, I've never even had contact with them plus they support TB. But I'm always leary of anyone suggesting something when they have a vested interest. The fact they directed you to check them out passively is a good sign and indication that they are considering your needs that they wouldn't benefit from.

In my experience most Barts have a muted top end, and if they don't they sacrifice the low end. It's one of things that make LP's desireable alternatives.

If you're anything like me, if you want a change you may as well make a change and get it out of your system. As the song goes, a change will do you good - one way or another.