1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Switching between active/passive basses w/ single input

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by bwong, Dec 1, 2017.

1. bwong

bwong

Feb 29, 2012
    Vancouver
    Hey guys, I've got a couple questions since I'm not exactly sure how this works but first I'll lay down what I'm trying to do.

I'm currently running a Music Man 'Ray and I'm looking at getting a passive P as a backup. I'm using the Line 6 G70 on my board as well. For those of you familiar with the G70, you can set multiple "scenes" to be able to switch between multiple guitars at the press of a button. If you dive in deeper you'll find that there is an option to control the amount of gain for each scene. Essentially I'd want to use that function to switch between basses without any difference in volume levels SO the question is;

1 - If I were to reduce the gain in the G70 receiver for the scene that utilizes the 'Ray in order to match the natural output of the P bass, is it safe to use the passive input on my amp for both basses?
    2 - Will there be any sort of tone loss or clipping?
    3 - Would it, for whatever reason, be more ideal to match the P gain to the 'Ray natural output and use the active input?
    4 - Would it be fine to run both basses through a passive DI (JDI) to the FOH if the levels are matched?

I will mention that I also use effects before my signal hits the amp, I'm not sure if that would really make a difference but I think a hotter signal is going to hit certain pedals harder such as overdrives and envelope filters.

Does anyone here have experience with this?

Thanks!

2. The only difference between the two amp inputs, is a pad on the active one. You are fine putting a diminished active signal into the unpadded input. If you hear clipping, diminish it more.