Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Switching between Basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by birdsg, Jul 20, 2004.

1. birdsg

birdsg

Dec 18, 2003
    Birmingham England
    For all of you with multiple basses how do you handle differences in neck width etc when you switch between different basses? Those of you with Jazzes and precisions as an example is there a short learning curve when you go from one to the other? I have a MM Sterling and just bought a stingray and feels really weird - after playing the stingray for a few days the sterling feels tiny and I am hitting 2 strings at a time when slapping now as my mind is still in stingray mode?

Steve

2. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Shoot dawg, try switching from upright to electric and back in the same gig, and you'll know what wierd feels like :bag:

3. i make it a point to practice on all my instruments when i plan on using them. i've found that i play entirely different stuff on my P bass than on my former J bass. that is because both the sound and the feel are entirely different.

robb.

4. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    It is all about practice. If you spend enough practice time with each bass then you will have no trouble switching. Generally I keep my switching to a minimum at gigs. I don't like to be the guy that causes the set to come to a halt.

5. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    practice untill they both feel natural to you

what i think still feels funny erven after owning both basses for 3 years is switching between a neck with a 16 inch radius on it, to a flat fretboard.

6. It is simply a matter of getting used to your basses and practicing on all of them. Once you're used to them, each will become second nature.

7. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    The string spacing on my fretless is wider, and has higher tension strings. Switched between that and my fretted during my second ever live performance. That was a neat adjustment!

8. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    I try to practice on the bass I plan on using, but when I switched between my six string and my four string then back to my five string it could get really funky :p

9. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    It is definately weird. I was playing a 5-string Zon once, then I went to Rick, and man it was really weird. I was overshooting everystring, or at least it felt that way, it didn't take that long to adjust but however.

10. kazuhank

kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    No kidding! After the doghouse to electric switch, every electric feels like a toy. Nothing's better for your chops than to start a gig on upright and finish on electric, really builds endurance.

11. Going from the fretted P to the fretless J can sometimes result in an unplanned free jazz moment.

12. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I had problems with this situation when I got my Stingray after playing nothing but Sterlings for a long time. I solved the problem by only practicing on a Precision. For some reason this allows me to switch back and forth without too much adjustment time. Now, to get ready for the Bongo fiver!

13. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    :)

14. peabody

peabody Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    I was having the same problem going back and forth from a Jazz to a Precision. After playing the Jazz, the P-bass neck felt huge and I had trouble playing it. I solved the problem by finding an "A" neck Precision and now I have two distinctive sounding basses with virtually the same neck. It's much easier to switch back and forth now.

15. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Which is why you keep nothing but fretted Ps on hand.

16. Once you get a really good feel for both, you won't have trouble and your brain will go "Oh, this is the Stingray, I know how it feels to play this one so I will just play it like I've been playing it all along"..atleast thats what mine seems to do.

17. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    This is the worst case scenario. I do it at every gig and its no problem anymore. I also switch from jazz to precision to suit my taste on a given day with no problems. They all feel natural to me.

18. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I make sure I play all of my basses on a regular rotation. I also know which bass I will be using for a particular program and practice with that bass for at least a couple of days. I try not to switch instruments in a live situation and in most cases I don't. Practice with your basses regularly and I'm sure the weirdness will diminish.

19. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    As said above, if your use to any electric bass, switching
    is no proplem.
    Electric to upright bass is a trip.
    If switching, I try to platy most of my upright tunes at one time.

20. I switch between a Jazz and a MM SUB during shows with no problems.