Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Switching between Solo and Orch on 1 set?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Brian K, Sep 8, 2004.

1. Brian K

Brian K Supporting Member

May 21, 2004
    Toronto, ON
    Does anyone out there regularly tune and detune their bass between solo tuning and orchestra tuning?

Is there a certain type of string that can handle this, or is it a bad idea all together?

2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    You can tune solo-strings at orchestra pitch without any problem, but you'll loose some tension.
    I wouldn't do the reverse though!

3. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    The new Velvet Compas 180s are supposed to be able to specifically handle this - tuning back and forth between orchestra and solo tuning. Brian, I had a set and sold them to Adrian Juras who is in St. Catherines (and is here on TalkBass) and he isn't using them anymore so you might want to check them out. They are a bit gut-like in sound (Silk core) with exceptionally smooth windings. Excellent arco string. What I didn't like about them is that the strings are pretty thin (mind you I'm used to gut including plain gut on the G) and the tension was a little high for me on the bass I tried them on.

4. Brian K

May 21, 2004
    Toronto, ON
    Thanks guys.

Say, might this be the first all Canadian thread?

5. Adrian Cho

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    Exactly what I was thinking! Now we just need Adrian to join from St. Catherines too. Actually, he's in Beamsville now that I think about.

6. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    The all Canadian string thread eh;) I think there are a few more guys that could jump in....

I am actually using the Compas 180's and finally quite happy with them. I had them on before and I found them to have less volume than I needed for playing acoustically. The tension felt really low on my bass. Just recently I had my post adjusted, and I increased the string height. My bass just sings now! These strings are really nice under the bow, and they sound great Pizz. I would say they are probably one of the most versatile strings you can buy. They are meant to be played either solo or orchestral. Tuning them up will not harm the string.

7. Adrian Cho

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    But how do you feel about the thickness of the G string? I found it too thin being used to gut however I guess I could get used to it. If they made the Animas with the same smooth windings as the 180s, I would be really happy. I agree the 180s are fantastic strings.

8. Brian K

May 21, 2004
    Toronto, ON
    On the tailpiece, do the 180's attach differently than most?

I've got a tailpiece with individual adjustable saddles, will they work on that?

9. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I think you might have trouble with the adjustable string saddles. The string really needs a conventional tailpiece(compensating would work fine as well).

I am used to steel strings right now, so the G isn't that big of a deal. It is easy to start under the bow. I still like a thicker string, but my G sounds huge on this bass. I don't think it will be a problem in the future.

10. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    I got over the thinness of the strings in about 2 weeks. Now I don't even notice. They feel and sound great after the bass gets used to the lower tension.

If there is a better all around string, I haven't heard it yet. I went to these because the price of Eudoxas had gotten ridiculous, but I won't be going back even if the price was the same.

Monte

11. Adrian Cho

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    I knew Monte would weigh in sooner or later and it's great that he did. Unfortunately that spoils the all-Canuck thread though!

12. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    DOH!!
    :bag:

Those imperialist Americans!!

Monte