1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Switching Between Synth and Bass

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Nlenhard17, Oct 3, 2018.

1. Hello,

I am thinking about getting a Moog Sub Phatty and playing it live. Since the Sub Phatty is monophonic I can't play the bassline at the same time if I'm playing a lead part. Should I just get someone else to do it? I'm worried about the band not sounding full (its a three piece).

Thanks!

2. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    How are you currently playing the bassline at the same time you're playing the lead part now on your bass guitar?

Seanto and Lobster11 like this.
  3. I don't have the Sub Phatty yet so I've just been using the bass guitar

4. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    And are you playing simultaneous basslines and lead parts on your bass guitar?

Lobster11 likes this.
  5. No, man. He's saying he can't unplug one from his rig, pedal board, preamp, or whatever he's using while the song is going, and he needs something to switch between instruments quickly.

If you're amp or preamp doesn't have to inputs (the simplest solution), you'll want to get a AB switch, or even better, a preamp with two inputs, a switch, and two separate EQ's. doubling bass and synth is becoming increasingly common, so there are plenty of products on the market that fit that need.

LBS-bass likes this.
  6. LBS-bass

LBS-bass Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2017
    California
    Kevin probably has a better option but I did this a couple of months ago at a tribute show and just ran the synth direct.

7. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    Is your question about whether to use a keyboard capable of polyphony and a split point? If so, yeah: recommended.

If you are in love w/ the sound of the SubPhatty but need to be able to play additional lines, pads, etc: add a lightweight keyboard controller driving soft synth sounds on a tablet or laptop. (Of course, if you dom you might find that the keyboard controller w/ split and softsynths take care of everything, without the Moog.)

8. Seanto

Seanto

Dec 29, 2005
    USA
    If you could clarify the question that would help. Are you saying you want a synth that can handle lead lines as well as bass? You said you are a 3 piece, so do you have someone else playing lead? Generally when a bass player switches to synth bass he is still performing the bassist role. You said you currently play bass guitar in the band. I think we need to understand your intent with this synth. is to to add a synth bass tone to your arsenal or otherwise?

9. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    It sure sounded to me like O.P. meant that when he plays lead on the synth, he won't be able to play a bass line on either his bass or the synth -- and that's why he's worried the 3-piece band won't "sound full." I thought that was also why he asked if he should just get someone else to play "it" (dunno if he meant the bass or the synth line). It would be helpful if he would come back and chime in, but he "was last seen" a week and a half ago so who knows.

Bob_Ross, Seanto and LBS-bass like this.
  10. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Qu├ębec
    A/B switch

11. twinjet

twinjet GE90-equipped Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Moved to Miscellaneous.