1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Switching cab from 4 ohm to 8 ohm?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pin_head_47, Aug 5, 2003.

1. Hello everybody, just was wondering something before i bought a new cab, and could use some technical advice... im looking into buying an avatar b212 in the next few months, and i want to get the 4 ohm version so i can get the full power out of whichever head i choose (havent decided yet, most likely a SVT-III Pro or a SWR400). If i get some cash later on, id like to add an 8ohm b210 on top of that, but then i would have to switch the 212 to 8 ohm as well. How much hassle is this, and how do i go about doing it? Is it just a matter of rewiring? :confused: Thanks for any info. :D

Peace.

2. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Changing a cabinet from 4 ohms to 8 ohms requires changing the speakers, or having the impedance of the existing speakers changed (usually at the factory or thru a reconing service).

Typically, in a cabinet with two speakers (such as a 2x10), a 4 ohm cabinet has two 8 ohm speakers in parallel, while an 8 ohm cabinet has two 4 ohm speakers in series (or two 16 ohm speakers in parallel).

jd