Switching cabs with an A/B??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by quadra, Jul 29, 2009.

1. quadra

quadra

Feb 8, 2008
    I thought you could switch cabs with a regular A/B switch, but then I saw this http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Radial-CabBone-Speaker-Cabinet-Switcher?sku=153910, which description makes total sense.

This one http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/...Nano-Switchblade-Channel-Switcher-?sku=150091, representing simple A/B boxes on the market states that it CAN be a cab switcher.

I recently build a couple of Fulltone A/B DIY boxes, will they work for a cab switching situation?

Is there more science involved in this like the Radial CabBone or it's just not so necessary.

2. keyboardguy

keyboardguy Supporting Member

May 11, 2005
    Hmmm, your web links don't seem to be working for me.....

3. JehuJava

JehuJava Bass Frequency Technician

Oct 15, 2002
    Yorktown, VA
    Link worked for me. Cab bone seems promising.

I don't think a regular A/B should be used much the same way a guitar cable shouldn't be used as a speaker cable.

4. quadra

quadra

Feb 8, 2008
    Makes sense.

But $260 vrs $37 makes you wonder what the f%$#k is inside that Cab Bone that makes it so special for that specific purpose.

Maybe a DIY thingy can do the job.

5. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    A simple switch will work for a solid-state amp (nothing with an output transformer)

But carrying two cabinets - just because they sound different doesn't make much sense. Get a single all around cabinet and switch your tone around using signal processing.

6. quadra

quadra

Feb 8, 2008
    Different instruments going through same amp that requires different speaker types. So that is what i'm going to be using it for.

What happens if it's a tube amp?

7. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Vancouver Island
    I've used a switchblade to select between cabinets for some time and have not seen any adverse effects. Then again, this is with a solid state amp...

8. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    An amp that has an output transformer might have a problem with the moment of "no load" while the switch is going from one cab over to the other.