Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Switching channels on Aphex 204?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BassIan, Jan 23, 2004.

1. BassIan

BassIan Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Cupertino, California
    I have an Aphex 204 that I've been loving, and want to try an experiment. There are lots of useable settings, and I am tired of using only one at a time. What I want to do is use both channels and have a footswitch to select them.

I run the 204 before the head, so the bass goes in the input, then I take the output to the front of the 800 Pro head. What I want to do is use an A/B switch before the Aphex to choose the channel that gets my bass's signal, then have each output going to the front of my amp. Essentially what I need is some sort of cable sum (2 1/4" into 1 1/4" adapter) to go between the Aphex outputs and my 800 Pro's inputs. Does anybody know where I can find such a beast?

Also, if anybody has done this before, or has any other advice on how I may do this, help is certainly welcome.

Thanks in advance.

2. BassIan

Apr 27, 2003
    Cupertino, California
    Anyone? It's not that boring is it? :D

3. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

I think you answered your own question. You need an A/B switch box.

4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Here's another option in case you hadn't considered it. You could run the channels of the Aphex in series:

input -> 1channel -> 2channel -> output.

You'd set the channels differently of course, and use the Process switches to use channel 1 or channel 2 (or both or neither).

This method is much simpler to set up than a footswitch, but it's not as simple to switch channels. The Aphex effect is so subtle I can't imagine a need to switch in the middle of a song... but then again, maybe I'm not being creative enough with mine. :)

5. BassIan

Apr 27, 2003
    Cupertino, California
    I know that, but if I did that, I'd need some sort of cable sum... 'cuz I need to take outputs from each channel, and turn them into one input into the head. So, I guess my question was, if I do an A/B switch from the bass, is there such a thing as a 2 into 1 quarter inch adapter?

6. BassIan

Apr 27, 2003
    Cupertino, California
    THIS is clever. I'm gonna try this and see how it goes. My only concern with this is that I'm pretty sure the 204 isn't a direct patch-through if its processing is off, so I may incur some signal loss/increased noise through this method. Do you notice any?

I find I can get a nice mid boost or really low end boost depending on where the frequency control is for the Big Bottom. Sometimes for softer stuff the low boost sounds really good, but if I need to cut through a distorted guitar, I need mids and don't wanna waste power on the lows... it's a rather good EQ function the way I use it. I've spent lots of time playing with it, and I tend not to be that restricted in what I try. So try getting a little creative with it.

7. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    loooper makes some really good a/b boxes

8. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

A/B boxes are not directional. They are just make/break switches. Patch the outputs from the effect to the "outputs" of the A/B box. Patch the "input" of the A/B box to the input of the amp.

9. BassIan

Apr 27, 2003
    Cupertino, California
    I've tried chaining the channels in the 204, and while that does allow the switchability, even with one channel on with my typical settings, there is significant tone altering going on. It doesn't sound the same as when I'm just routed through one channel. The 204 isn't a true bypass when the processing is switched off. I like the sound just using one channel at a time, so we're back to the A/B switch thing.

Here's what the idea is, to summarize:

My bass -----> A/B switch -------> One output from each A/B output into each input to 204 --------> each output of 204 into single input of 800 Pro.

My question is, how do I do that last step, as in take the 2 outputs and turn them back into one input for the 800 Pro? That's the only issue I can't figure out.