1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Switching Flats and rounds back and forth...on one bass.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by selfblessed, Sep 5, 2008.

1. selfblessed

selfblessed

Dec 29, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Hello, Mods move this if need be.

If I was to become a one bass-two sets of strings guy...Would the strings be okay? Would the bass be okay?

For instance if I only had my trusty Jazz bass but loved the round zingyness and the flat thumps. Would I encounter any problems with the stings being swapped back and fourth? On either the bass or the strings?

Thanks.

2. tapp01

tapp01

Apr 10, 2008
    Wilmington, NC
    I can't imagine how it would "hurt" the bass but a setup would most likely be in order with each switch. Different tension in strings would require truss rod adjustments, saddle height changes, etc.

3. BillyRay

BillyRay Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Quebec
    You'll effectively need to perform a complete setup everytime you change strings.

I've also had a string snap on me due to the end getting crimped too much due to constant removal.

4. selfblessed

selfblessed

Dec 29, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Hmmm

Kinda forgot about setups. What if you had similar tension strings?

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Terrible idea even if you have strings that are the same tension. They're still not going to respond the same way, nor will the intonation be accurate, so you'll still have to do a new setup every time you switch. Plus your strings are going to break way too soon. Do it if you want *, but it's a really bad idea.

(* I said, "Do it if you want" because I know that despite everyone's warnings not to do it, you're going to do it.)

6. selfblessed

selfblessed

Dec 29, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Jimmy M thanks for the concern. I was thinking of this plan if times get real hard, and only if one bass was the only option. But sounds like it would be too much of a pain in the rear. Also ass cost effective as I thought since I would probably be breaking the strings more often. So yeah I totally agree! Not Worth It!

7. selfblessed

selfblessed

Dec 29, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    To clarify...I am heading all warnings. There is no way I would do this at all.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I was just busting chops a little so take my posts like that with a grain of salt.

9. selfblessed

selfblessed

Dec 29, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    No I know man. I prefer pepper though. :smug:

10. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Yay! :hyper: Another miracle healing by JimmyM!