1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

switching from B-E-A-D-G to E-A-D-G-C

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jaredschaffer, Jul 17, 2012.

1. jaredschaffer

jaredschaffer

Jul 17, 2012
    I currently own two 5-string basses both tuned to BEADG and I'd like to switch one of them to EADGC. I'm assuming I can't use the same strings, but would I also have to replace the electronics or anything like that, or just change the strings and set up the neck?

2. new lighter strings and adjust the neck, if needed. You might not need to.

That's it.

3. tink9975

tink9975

Aug 10, 2006
    MoCo, MD
    just strings and set-up the neck, no need to mess with the electronics

4. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    switching from B-E-A-D-G to E-A-D-G-C

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Try DGCFA#

5. jaredschaffer

jaredschaffer

Jul 17, 2012
    Alright, thank you :)

6. mech

mech Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    The intonation will also need to be reset. For a rough guide move the B saddle to align with the E saddle and follow with the rest.

mech.

7. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    If they are new strings and you like them you can use four of them. Move the EADG strings down one notch and then get a C string from BassStringsOnline. If there is a light enough string available in the brand and model of strings you use then you are good to go. Even if there isn't, get something as close as you can and you have a cheap way to try the new tuning. Once you decide you want to keep the tuning you can get a proper set of strings. If you are like many of us you may have something laying about the house that you could press into service as a C string for that matter....

Ken

8. MoeTown1986

MoeTown1986 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    i did it on an old Ibanez SR885. didn't have a neck issue, just had to adjust the bridge a tad and it was good to go. i bought a 6 string set and tossed the low B

9. steve_rolfeca

steve_rolfeca Supporting Member

You can start out by just swapping out the strings and doing a rough intonation job. Should be good enough to at least let you get a feel for the new tuning.

But once you're reasonably sure that you're going to stick with it, you'll want to give the whole instrument a going over. In addition to adjusting the saddle heights and intonation, you'll probably want minor tweaks to the truss rod, and a new nut.

It's unlikely that you feel the need for anything new in the electronics department, unless you're going to be playing a drastically different style of music on the EADGC instrument, in which case, who knows?

10. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    Just strings and neck adjustment did it for me.
    The nut was no issue.

11. jaredschaffer

jaredschaffer

Jul 17, 2012
    Thank you all for your advice :) By the way, does anyone have any recommendations on what strings to look for? I know a guy who owns a shop so he does all the work on my basses for me, I only need to purchase the strings for him but since I never do the work myself I have no idea what I should get :\

12. mech

mech Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    If you like what you use now get the same brand/series. You'll know what it should sound like.

mech

13. I tried that on my Alembic. It made it sound like a sitar, so I switched back. It had a brass nut, so it may have had less tolerance for different string gauges than a regular nut.

14. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    I've done this and going from BEADG to EADGC is no problem. Usually I just get a 6 string set of strings in the kind I want for that bass which lets me go either way if I want to change.

To really do it right you'd want to cut a new nut to fit the smaller diameter strings. But I never do. There seems no problem with using the BEADG nut on EADGC strings.

Now if you were going the other way from EADGC to BEADG then you'd HAVE to get the nut grooves filed out for the fatter strings.

The string tension was similar enough only a minor truss rod adjustment was needed.

15. jaredschaffer

jaredschaffer

Jul 17, 2012
    The bass I want to switch over was a gift so Im not sure what strings are on it, and I can't look up the model to see what the stock strings would be as it is a custom Antoniotsai bass. Its a mixed blessing, even though its a beautiful instrument, its still a pain to get parts for >_< But Im not picky with strings personally so if anyone can just suggest something that sounds good and feels smooth to play with, I'll use that as a starting point so I can shop around :)