Switching From DR Sunbeams to Nickel Lo-Riders

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by BassGod, Dec 28, 2005.

1. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I'm planning on making the switch, and I'll be getting the same guage. But will I need to do another set up, even though the guage will be the same?

2. DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    The lo riders may be a little more tension. If you stick with the same gauge it may not be a huge change. Slight tighten tweak of the truss rod to nothing at all.

3. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    You're going to notice a stiffer string feel due to the hex core, but the actual tension on the neck will probably not be noticably different.
  4. marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    Yes, You'll need another setup. No doubt about it.

Not so much the neck and truss rod, but the intonation.

You can easily do it yourself. It's not difficult to learn.

The neck is up to you, if you find that the new strings raise your action too much then it'll need a tweak. Action is such a matter personal preference, anyways.
  5. Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    Right on Marc. Check your intonation. Learn to do this your self as playing in tune is as much a part of being musical as playing the right notes.
  6. "Switching From DR Sunbeams to Nickel Lo-Riders"

I just swapped Sunbeams for SS Lo-Riders on my 03' 4003 because I wanted a little more tension .....

I miss my Sunbeam's tone though.. so much more going on in the mids, and they had a better kind of brightness(like sunshine) :( :(

Are the Nickel Lo-Riders any closer to the tone of the Sunbeams? How about Dean Markley Nickel Steels?
  7. .....Sorry to repost, but I just put my 'Beams back on, and they sound soo much better, even though the fretlines have worn into the strings :eek:

I may try the Nickel LRs later on, but I really love the Sunbeams..
  8. Kinda simmilar in an opposite kinda way... :p

But I've been thinking of switching from Hi-Beams to Sun-Beams. I know they both have a round core (right?), so would they have the same tension? Just a different, (warmer) tone, right?
  9. Yes...

I love the Sunbeams, they have very, very rich mids, which compliments my Rick very nicely......I just tried the SS Lo-Riders, and I've used the Hi-Beams in the past, but they both sound cold, and mid-scooped to me....

I also like treble, especially edgy, organic highs, with beautiful overtones, and the Sunbeams seem to excel at that also, whereas the Lo-Riders and Hi-Beams seem to have really clacky highs with much less harmonic content...

Taken from their website:

SUNBEAMS are a step forward for the traditional player, as well as the advanced exponent of fretless bass, both of whom want brightness and warmth. SUNBEAMS feature the easily recognizable feel and flexibility of DR round core construction, with nickel warmth, softness of feel, and increased response to magnetic pickups due to the sensitive magnetic content (compared to stainless steel) of the nickel plated wrap wire."