1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Switching from electic to bass question

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by britishnation, May 19, 2011.

1. britishnation

britishnation

May 19, 2011
    I've been playing the electric guitar for a couple of years now, and im intested in learning the bass too. Is it somewhat easy to switch (is it similar), or is it like learning a whole new instrument?

thanks,
    John

2. I began on acoustic and went to bass and it was a completely different instrument. If you use a pick on the bass it could be relatively the same to play, but you'll need to learn how to play bass parts which is completely different than guitar, as it's role in the band is different. Try it out for sure though, it will make you more versatile, and you may even prefer it. good luck

3. kuys

kuys

Jun 29, 2010
    Similar in that they are both stringed instruments but bass is not "easy guitar". The approach is entirely different. Your job is to provide a bridge to the percussive instruments for the other tonal instruments.

That's not to say you have to ride the root all day either. I don't know where I'm going with this really. I played guitar for 15 years before I switched to bass and I realized that I was always a bass player. It's simply about the groove. :bassist:

4. baalroo

baalroo

Mar 24, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    The basics of each can translate pretty well to one another, but the overall feel of each is quite different and they generally facilitate different roles in a band setting. A guitarist can pick up a bass (and vice versa) fairly easily, but it takes a lot of work and years of practice to really pick up and understand the intricacies of each. IE: a good guitar player will be able to technically play a bass guitar without much trouble (the underlying concepts are the same), but will end up playing the thing "like a guitar player" rather than "like a bass player" and the difference will be obvious to most people fairly quickly... until some time is spent learning the difference in style and approach.

5. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Well it's not as much of a change as going from guitar to trumpet or something. There are still strings, there are still frets, there are still pickups, you already understand amps and eq and effects and things. But the physicality of the instrument will be a significant transition (rather like someone moving from violin to cello, say), and the role you play in the music will be significantly different; you need to think in terms of laying down a foundation rather than playing over a foundation laid by others.

6. EricssonB

EricssonB

Apr 5, 2011
    CoSpgs, CO.
    You might see the term "gui****" floating around these parts. I laughed pretty hard the first time I read it and could pidgeon-hole a lot of guitarists that I know into it.

I play both 50/50 and write all of my music for both. I've put more study time into bass when I concluded that my favorite tunes have a strong rhythm/bass composure and to compose music with strong rhythm/bass parts would result in a more satisfying track. Strong basslines first, guitar structure second. Did I mention that I hate Van Halen?

Ladies don't dance to guitar solos.

7. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    As well as all the above, you will need to take another look at your technique which, with bass, is quite different from that of guitar.

8. LIONFURY

LIONFURY Banned

Apr 26, 2011
    Well it depends. When i switched from electric to bass it was a big switch. You have to get used to not playing lead all the time.

I switched 2 years ago

9. dgravesweiner

dgravesweiner

May 3, 2011
    I have played guitar for 25 years and bass for a few months so keep this in mind. You fill a very specific role in the sound spectrum. The bass fills all the holes at the bottom unless you are luck enough to have a piano player at your beck and call and even then. It's for that reason that you provide a foundation for the song. The drums are the engine and the bass is the steering wheel. Listen to U2 to see what I mean. The bass guitar and the kick drum occupy the same space sonically that's why it's so important to lock in with it.