1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Switching from Eurosonics to . . . ?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Snarf, May 14, 2006.

1. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    Glen Cove, NY
    So I've had my Kay since February, and I'm still having a lot of trouble getting a good attack out of the E string. I've been doing a little poking around and found out that the set that's on there has an E string that's .15" thick!!! As opposed to other strings that seem to run from .1 to .12 ish. So it's not JUST my deficiencies as a noob upright player (been playing electric for 7ish years, and discovered that electric in jazz is kinda lame).

The other strings are pretty manageable, it's really just the E that's killing me. Would you recommend I only switch out the one string and save some money, or go all out and get a new set of lower guage steel strings? In the case of the latter, which strings have lower tension, light guage, and a bold sound for jazz?

2. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    Glen Cove, NY
    Oh, and one more question:

I've been eyeing the Corellis on urbbob.com, and they sound like they might be a good choice. I've been told though that switching from a super thick string like these Eurosonics to a very thin string like Corelli (I would probably get the Fortes) can make the bridge less stable, making it move around if you play too agressively. Is that true?

3. First off, when you say aggressive, do you mean slap-style or rockabiily? Secondly, The Corelli 370F is still a thinner string than most. I play the TX, or extra forte, and that's more like someone else's Med. Thirdly, if the bridge feet have been fit properly, the bridge should not "move around". If it does, and your strings are up to concert pitch, then have the bridge fit by a competent luthier.

gomez

4. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    Glen Cove, NY
    Okay, thanks for the info.

I don't play slap or rockabilly, but the guy who sold me the bass does. That's probably what he was referring to. And the bridge looks pretty secure.

5. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    Glen Cove, NY
    Sigh, I'm still not sure what to do.

I'm considering just getting a Forte E string, but those are even thinner than the Eurosonic D string. Do you think just having the E will be comfortable when it's with 3 other MUCH thicker strings?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I've tried mixing plain guts and Eudoxas, which are silver wound guts that are pretty thick, but yeah, it takes a couple days to get used to the different thicknesses and tensions. However, a lot of people consider it a good match to do A and A steel and D and G gut. I think the Eurosonics are a pretty bright string from what I've heard (ask for verification on this) and mixing an E steel with them might work. Can't hurt to try. All you have to lose is lots of money.

7. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    Glen Cove, NY
    Well, the Corelli 370F's have been on for two days, so far I love them. Great sustain, great tone. Granted, I don't have a whole lot of experience to draw from, but right now I'm really liking these strings.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Good, dude...buying strings can bankrupt you.