1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

switching from Fender to Music Man

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ghostjs, Mar 11, 2009.

1. ghostjs

ghostjs

Aug 14, 2008
    ghostjs
    Unofficially Endorsing: D'Addario, Lakland
    yup. the fenders are getting too expensive and MusicMan is releasing the Sterling basses so im saving up for a Sterling RAY 34. for $650, i can get a Fender standard Mexican Jazz or... the Sterling stingray. so i think i have my mind set on my next bass :)

2. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Wait. You said you want the Sterling by Musicman, but then said you could get one or the other. Is your mind set?

3. ghostjs

ghostjs

Aug 14, 2008
    ghostjs
    iops sorry for the bad grammar. i was in a slight rush. im saying that my next bass is going to be a Sterling by MM cuz the Fender jacked its prices. a Fender jazz is the same cost as a Sterling Stingray.

4. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    So, you're switching to a completely different instrument because of price? Why not get a Fender copy or whatever?

5. ghostjs

ghostjs

Aug 14, 2008
    ghostjs
    the thing is i always wanted a MM but theyre tooexpensve but next month the new Sterling series are going to be released and im thinking bout getting one and selling one of my basses also

6. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    I would never make that kind of a decision without playing the basses in question first. AFAIK, the Sterling basses won't be on the market for about another month still. I'm as excited as anyone to see them. However, they don't sound anything alike and the quality on Fender's has improved across the board IMO. Play them both first, then you can make an informed decision. And if you wind up preferring the tone of the Sterling Ray34, then you know you'll be happy.

7. ghostjs

ghostjs

Aug 14, 2008
    ghostjs
    alright. ill try em when they ship in april. i already own a Fender Jazz and Precision abd im not really digging the jazz sound so i was thinking about the new sterolings being released.

8. Mikio

Mikio

Feb 21, 2009
    Santiago de Chile
    I'm not into Sterlings. For me it's all about Stingrays when it comes to MusicMan, and Bongos are OK too

9. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    He's talking about the new series "Sterling by MusicMan" which includes Stingrays too, and are made overseas. I know it's confusing, but... Nothing really to do with actual Sterlings...

10. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    Let the name confusion begin! :ninja:

11. T-Forty

T-Forty Guest

Mar 14, 2008
    There was a whole thread with people saying it wouldn't cause confusion and others saying it would.

Guess the debate is over!

12. Maybe just me, but if you want a 'ray, would you not be better off saving a bit more and buying one used?

I'm betting these "Sterling by MM" (seriously, how up his own **** is Sterling Ball), won't be a scratch on the real EB-MM basses.

13. uaudio

uaudio

Apr 11, 2008
    Arizona
    Perfect response. +9000

14. debassr

debassr

Jan 23, 2008
    Boston
    You'll be back. :)

15. 3toes

3toes

Aug 30, 2006
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    More of a decision of taste imo. I'd much rather have an MIM J-bass because I prefer that sound over an SbMM.

16. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    You could get a great used Fender for $650. How bout a Geddy Lee? I've even heard of people selling their USA Fenders for that much...

Although, I played a MM 5 String at GC and I was thoroughly impressed with how it played and sounded - it was $1650 tho! :eek:

17. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    I know it's been hit on already, but the OP is wanting the Sterling Ray34 which is an import version of the Stingray. The Sterling SB14 is the import version of the EBMM Sterling. The Sterling Ray35 is the import version of the SR5. Anyone cross-eyed yet?

FWIW, I don't think this is as confusing as the MIM, CIJ, MIA, etc. structure that Fender has gone with and Fender seems to be doing just fine. Just my $0.02.

Agreed. These basses will only be of interest to people who like the EBMM sound as much as, or more than, your typical Fender tones. Which is a lot of people, but I think most will still go for the MIM Fenders whether the quality of the Sterling is better or not. If you prefer a Jazz, the new Sterling basses don't really offer you anything of value.

18. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Mike Lull GK Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass
    I actually heard otherwise so far and I'm inquiring more about this.

So far this was from just 1 person.

19. mynan

mynan

Nov 7, 2007
    Grand Haven, MI
    Now that wasn't a very nice thing to say...

Actually, the fact is that there was a meeting involving EBMM, GC, and the company that will be producing these instruments concerning the name and Sterling Ball was the only one who didn't like the name, so they went with it.

...and from what I've heard from people who got their hands on these at NAMM, they are not that far off from a real EBMM. More like a SUB than an OLP.

20. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    You can get a used MM Sterling or Stingray in the $800 to $900 range.It would hold it's value better than an import.Save a while longer and get the real thing!