1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Switching from guitar to bass and have a couple Q's

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by intothepit, Apr 13, 2006.

1. intothepit

intothepit

Apr 13, 2006
    Ok, this topic covers different ground so I put this in mic. forum, sorry if I messed up. After four years of playing guitar I've decided to do bass and drums, instruments which I discovered that I actually have FUN with (even when practicing or messing around). With guitar, I did decently technical stuff like I could play: Necrophagist rythyms/solos, almost all Testament material, so basically alot of thrash and death metal. I'm confused as to whether I should get a decent bass (willing to spend 3-500) or stick with something crappy for now only because I don't know whether or not guitar has prepared me better for bass. Do I need to relearn a technique in a different way? Learn new theory? Appreciate the responses (also, if you have any feedback of basses/amps for metal it'd be appreciated).

2. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I played guitar for many years before picking up the Bass. If your like me, it's harder to learn on a "cheap" instrument than a better one. That being said, the Rondo SX's are real popular around here. Very inexpensive and people swear by them. I have more expensive taste.
    Playing w/ a pick and playing bass lines that are the riffs you'll be able to play off the bat. Finger technique will take some practice and Slap is just flat fun and will take some practice.
    Theory is basically the same, application is a little different.
    Everyone has different taste, so you need to pick out your amp and Bass.

3. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    I play electric guitar and bass guitar. Both compliment each other very well.

SX seems to be the way to go.

4. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    Try learning some Krisiun on your guitar, you'll have fun :)