1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Switching From Right-Handed To Left

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Bassquest, Mar 18, 2021.

1. As my 68 year old hands start to fail, I was thinking on buying a lefty. My first finger on my left hand is painful with arthritis making it difficult to press down. My right hand is ok. Dont expect to be as proficient if I switch over. Supposed to good for the brain by doing something challenging to avoid alzheimers. Anybody switched over? Please share your experience/thoughts.

anderbass and Joe Nerve like this.
  2. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I've seen just about everything imaginable on TB, but this I think is a first :) .

Sounds like fun actually, and now you've got me wanting to give it go.

I would just flip my basses though and leave them strung as is. I think that open up lots of different possibilities.

3. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    LOL... just tried doing that. Good luck!

I think this is a great way to get an idea what absolute newbies on bass feel like.

4. I was thinking if I get the true lefty bass rather than flipping over it may be easier. Maybe practicing with a mirror in front of me with the lefty bass may help get the brain and fingers going properly.

beans-on-toast likes this.
  5. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    I'm left handed but learned to play right handed. It wasn't easy but you can do it with enough practice. It's tough but at some point it just clicks in your brain.

You can also try flipping your bass around, don't restring, and try it like that. Jimi Hendrix did it that way with bass.

6. I know a guy who learned from the start that way. Ended up being a very good player.

Another guy I knew changed over to standard lefty because he played bass in a Beatles tribute band (The Fab Four) and he wanted to look more like Paul. They gigged a LOT so he ended up being equally comfortable that way.

I think the key is a lot of time practicing and playing. It’s a slow start, but it will eventually work out with enough practice.

beans-on-toast likes this.
  7. Now a learned ambidextrous story. Many years ago I threw a paper route from my car every morning. After a while I got pretty good throwing with my left hand from the car. One morning I got out of the car to make a throw thinking I could do it with my left hand. Wrong, couldn’t do it. I was back to square one only because I was standing instead of sitting and I had learned while sitting in the car.

8. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    I thought relearning all my songs on a 5 after only playing with a 4 for 30+ years was a pain. You, sir are a brave soul.

9. JoeThomas

JoeThomas

Jan 15, 2021
    Just to let you know, you are not alone!
    Due to an injury I can no longer fret with my left hand. Rather than give up playing I ordered a lefty bass from Glarry to try it.
    Three months later I'm glad that I did.
    Am I as proficient? Not even close yet. Am I thrilled that I can still play? Absolutely! It is a challenge for my 66 year old brain but gotta keep the grey matter sparked.
    The most surprising thing about it is that I didn't realize how much more my fingers stretched on my left hand over the years. It's now a long stretch to that 4th fret.
    Anyway, for $100 it's worth a shot!
    Good luck my friend!

Here's a pics of 100 vs 3k
    20210115_165122_HDR.jpg

Bassquest likes this.
  10. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    If your right hand is good, get a keyboard bass. That's what I'd do.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2021