Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Switching from Taperwound to Regular strings. Do I need a set up?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by iceblinko, Jun 26, 2004.

1. iceblinko

iceblinko

Jul 15, 2003
    Ny
    hey all.. i've been using Fender Super bass 8250's forever, and now i'm switching to daddario xl's. the fender strings had a taperwound E while the daddarios have regular bottoms. are there any changes i need to make to my bass (raising/lowering the E string bridge saddle, getting a new set up, etc) because of the change?
    thanks all

-tom

2. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    You'll need to lower the string saddles slightly where you've switched from tapered to non-tapered to keep the same string-to-fretboard distance. And, you will also need to set the intonation on (at least) those same saddles.

3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I agree with Slater. Whenever switching strings it's a good idea to get a setup to make sure your string height and intonation are correct. You can probably change string height yourself... maybe intonation won't change much (and maybe you can also do that yourself).

Note that you'll have to lower your E-string saddle. A non-tapered string will sit higher than a tapered string.

4. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    You are correct, Sir!

(I'll edit my earlier post :oops: )