Switching gear - need some help (head + question about one cab)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by depseth, Sep 20, 2016.

1. depseth

depseth

Sep 20, 2016
    Warsaw
    Hey folks,

Recently started to think of a little change from my USA made SWR Workingmans' 4004. What would be your recommendation to aim for, without selling out my kidneys. If I would have tonne of money I would already be looking for some Orange stuff.

What I aim for is of course something doomish for post-whatever music, which will give some natural loudness and maybe overdriven tone. The fact is that the level of clean amp is not so big in comparison to the level while using my stomp fuzzes. Of course this is a matter of mixing the volume yet in some cases one does not have such problems.

Another question as well. Have anyone heard anything / any reviews / any comments about Marshall 1580 1x18 bass cab? One store in Poland has it in stock nd is not tragically expensive, yet I fear it would have too muddy sound and would have to sacrifice some of dynamics.

Attached Files:

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Hey and Welcome to TalkBass!!!

Do you have a budget in mind? That will really help us narrow down how to help you.

Also, are you opposed to used?

3. depseth

depseth

Sep 20, 2016
    Warsaw
    Hey, I think I can take costs of about $500 and am not opposed to used gear.

4. depseth

depseth

Sep 20, 2016
    Warsaw
    bumping up the thread a bit...

5. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

I would go with some variety of GK if you're liking solid state.

6. depseth

depseth

Sep 20, 2016
    Warsaw
    I was thinking about it, but preferably tube stuff. My SWR is a Solid State one and causes some problem with electricity because it drains enormous amount of power...

7. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

What kinds of tones are you after?

8. depseth

depseth

Sep 20, 2016
    Warsaw
    Well, basically I was looking after some natural overdrive / dirty tones given by the tube, yet not a very muddy ones. If I would have give you examples of the ideal tones for me those are in the following links yet you need to catch them from the tracks, (I know that for sure the sound needs some stomp effects yet there are amps that cam help you create such sound):

I hope this brings some light if not I'll try to explain it in another way around. ;)

Sartori likes this.
  9. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

You have good taste.

I've mostly seen CoL's bassist use Ampeg amps.

10. depseth

depseth

Sep 20, 2016
    Warsaw
    thanks. Yeap saw the same thing but maybe there are other things worth checking and being recommended by you guys :)

11. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

Depending on how loud your band is, you might be able to get by with a V4B (the new reissue). It's a little more aggressive sounding and it's easier to get that power tube grind on.

Otherwise probably the closest would be the SVT-CL and the SVT-2Pro.

12. depseth

depseth

Sep 20, 2016
    Warsaw
    I would say, quite loud, yet have some steady / quiet moments. For your review.
    ROSK

One of my colleagues is selling an SVT-CL head noe. Bit its a bit over my budget. Yet I'll probably try to reach him and give it a try.

13. depseth

depseth

Sep 20, 2016
    Warsaw
    bump up?

14. A tube amp will provide you with great response to your playing, a touch of compression, and some overdrive if you crank it up. If you're going to use all-tube overdrive, you'll want to size the amp appropriately to the stage volume you require. I use all tube amps from 55 to 300 watts depending on how loud the band is, how big the venue is and whether I need clean or dirty. The amp matters less IMO if you are going to depend on pedals for your sound. As far as the Marshall 18, we don't see much Marshall bass gear hear in the US. I have never seen any in person. Some people will tell you 18's are floppy or slow or mushy. This is simply not true. Depends on the design. You'll just have to demo it.

15. depseth

depseth

Sep 20, 2016
    Warsaw

There is a sample provided by the guys who are getting those old amps here in poland, giving tchem some new life and selling them out.

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 23, 2021