Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

switching j pickups for soapbars? sick?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by big evil robot, Jul 29, 2005.

1. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Innovations Music - Retailer
    I'm seriously considering switching my DM model J's for new SD soapbars. Am I possibly mental?
    I love the growly tone, but I'd like a bigger hifi sound as well. And I just like experiments a lot.

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Soapbar is just a shape and can actually be a J pup internally. You've already got the most versatile tone setup with J's. To route for soaps would be pretty pointless and actually counter-productive aside from appearance. If you want hi-fi go for Barts or active EMGs, or SD's maybe. The only SD's I've had that are hi-fi are their actives. Adding an onboard pre would probably through some hi-fi tone into the model J's as well. Usually does but sometimes not. Never thrown a pre onto model J's so don't know with them.

3. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    I've gone down the pre-amp route already. Don't like batteries.

I'm looking for a passive p/up with a nice broad range to it. I like the mids of my model J's, but I feel like I'm not getting the right OOMF for some reason. I should try a series/parallel switch first though.

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Lacking oomf is not a common statement regarding model J's. What's the distance between strings and poles fretted at the last fret (closest to neck pup)?

5. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    Go with the soaps. My first real bass was a G&L L2000. I was hooked on soaps from age 14. I always get complements on my thick tone. I know there is a lot more involved in the sound chain.....just my 2 cents. :bassist:

6. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    I've got about a 1/4 inch between the strings and poles.

7. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    If you've got 1/4" between the (bottom) of the strings and poles with the bass fretted at the last fret, I think you'll find that raising the pups will substantially increase "oomf." I set pups by raising them as high as they'll go without driving the strings into them and don't drop them unless they distort (which they will if they're too high - usually from about the 9th fret up). The closer the strings are the more responsive they are and the beefier the tone throughout the frequency range. So even on the E string the distance on my pups is typically less than 1/8". Doubling the distance will drop output by about 60% and there will be a loss of low frequencies and tone will become more like parallel compared to series - thinner more anemic.

I've had over 75 sets of pups and you will be hard pressed to find pups with more "oomf" that model J's. I also have found very little use for parallel wiring. So if they're wired in parallel, series would probably all the adjustment you'd need.