Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

switching options

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rekesbass, Dec 20, 2000.

1. was just wondering how all of you who use multiple instruments on stage go about hooking them thru the same amp(mixer\a-b box...?)because I was thinking about getting a small mixer(Behringer mx802a)and was wondering if this would work? I use a active(18v emg)equiped fretless,a Rickenbacker4001 and a piezo\magnetic equiped upright.I'm looking to plug all basses(thru the line inputs on the mixer) into same amp at same time and bring the level of whatever bass I'm using at that time..to make bass changes quick-n-easy and be able to get the volumes the same from inst. to inst.BTW my head has direct amp inputs(I've used it as a power amp for a p.a. system before).Was also thinking about a Rolls MX44(but not really enough inputs,I need at least five inputs-one for fretless,two for ric,two for upright- or should i just get a powered mixer and sell my head???? I'd like to hear how all of you are doing the multiple bass thing...thanx in advance.....

2. helloooooo.is this thing on????

3. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    I switch between 2 basses (fretted and fretless) on stage. I'm doing it the simple way: unplug one plug the other. If I had a switch box, I might use it, but then again, more wires around to get tangled. (BTW there's a recent thread in one of the usenet bass groups, alt.bass, on this very subject. You can view it with http://www.deja.com if you don't have a newsreader.)

If you have 4-5 instruments plugged in, I don't know how you'd keep the cords from getting into a tangled mess. Some people in the usenet group used wireless systems to avoid the problem.

I don't have any other ideas right now.
    - Mike

4. thanx....I'll have to check that out:)

5. I use one strap with shaler straplocks and just unplug and plug into the new bass. Also the volume is controled via midi and I have patches for each instrument. Changing is basses easy this way.