switching out J-pickups ... advice?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Fletz, Jan 23, 2009.

1. Fletz

Fletz

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
    Hello Bass Talkers -

I have a '93 Fender American Standard Jazz bass that I want to switch out the pickups.

(a) is it hard to do?
    (b) can someone recommend a good on-line tutorial?

Thanks!

2. Its a piece of cake if you can solder.
    Can you solder?

3. Fletz

Fletz

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
    I can solder! I worked at Radio Shack in High School!!!

Any advice on a good on-line "how-to?"

4. In that case, changing out pickups should be easy.

I am not aware of any tutorials, but changing out a pickup isn't rocket science...
    All you really need to do is de-solder the old pickups and pull them out, then put in the new pickups and solder the leads to where the old ones were.

5. jimmy.timms

jimmy.timms

Dec 27, 2008
    I replaced the pickups in a MIM jazz with seymour duncan 1/4 pounders. That worked well for my purposes. Seymour Duncan has some good resources on line for installation guidelines. If you have soldered you should be good.

6. punkanidea

punkanidea

Jan 6, 2009
    well, i can say it's so easy. even a teenager can do it!!!

you don't have to master soldering techniques. just prepare all equipments, heat up ur soldering iron, desolder your old pickups, don't forget to remember the pickup's polarity!! put your pickup into its housing, solder the wires. it's quite hard if you face some non "same size pickups with your old pickups". u've got re-route the pickup housing.

7. Fletz

Fletz

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
    You guys are awesome! Thanks!

8. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Duncan and Dimarzio both offer good schematics. One thing to be aware of is that there isn't really any standardization on J pickups phase and/or polarity. It isn't a big deal though. In general you install, take a listen with both pickups full up - if it sounds thin, nasty, wronky - flip the leads on one of the pickups and 99% of the time - that's it...

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021