1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

switching over

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Warrick lvr, Oct 12, 2010.

1. Warrick lvr

Warrick lvr

Oct 11, 2010
    i've had a 5 string warrick $$ double buck for 4 yrs now, and to be honest, my love for this bass is slowly dieing..I'm thinking i need something with abit more growl to it without using too many effect pedals. any suggestions would be appreciated. cheers.

2. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

You can't get enough growl out of a Warwick? Seriously?

Maybe all it needs is a setup?

If that's not the case, I'd recommend a Jazz bass or a Rickenbacker.

3. How is a $$ not exactly what you're looking for? What kind of strings are you using?

4. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

Right, strings can make a huge difference.

5. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    also, please define "growl".

6. DaLoCo

DaLoCo

Jun 16, 2010
    South Africa
    My $$ is the most multi-faceted bass I have ever heard, it lures you in with it's velvety voice, grabs you by the throat and slams you on the floor, snarls and growls and spits, and then innocently orders a mineral water from the bar. I do sometimes wish it was fretless....but it might change the personality too much, like making a barbecue champion a vegetarian.

Maybe you actually have a pod going bad or something. Play someone else's if need be, but you should have plenty of growl.

7. I own both a Warwick Corvette $$ and a MM Stingray.

They're very different. The $$ has a very distinctive voice. Growl in spades! But so does the Stingray, yet it's a different type of growl.
    But I switched to the Stingray as I found it gave me the sound I wanted more easily. The warwick is super versatile, but on the Stingray I get the sound I want much more easily and the variations I get from teh single pickup and its preamp are plenty... and very easy to reproduce.

My advise: try a Stingray.

Now, 2EQ or 3EQ? that's another thread by itself ;)
    They sound different.
    My favourite is the 2EQ, but I prefer the John East preamp, as it gives me a slightly tighter 2EQ version, and ultra versatile mids... which I don't use much as the bass by itself seems to sound just right in most situation, mids-wise.

8. +1 for pure awesomeness.

honestly, "growl" is such a generic term it's getting tough to tell what anyone means when they say it. to me it's a focused, hi-fi sound centered in the low mids that still has some warmth to it. i guess warwicks generally fit that description. but then again, a rickenbacker with the bridge pickup solo'd seems pretty "growly" too, and it would be tough to think of two sounds that are more different.