Switching P and J soapbars

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Feb 2, 2001.

1. I have a Dean Edge Custom 5 with EMG-HZ soapbars. By the sound and the fact that the bridge pickup hums, I have determined that the neck PU has a P magnet structure and the bridge PU has a J magnet structure. Since the volume is out of balance that way, and I want a beefier (and hum-free) bridge pickup tone, do you think I should just switch the two pickups? It'd be a lot cheaper than getting Bartolinis or EMG-40CS pickups.
  2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    According to the EMG website, the HZ bass pickukps are all humbucking. If you are getting hum and a thin sound from your bridge pickup, you may have a bad solder joint somewhere. If your bass is still under warranty, I'd take it back to the seller and ask him to fix it.
  3. Wow--I figured they were a P/J setup, which would be reasonable since the Edge series is basically the Ibanez Soundgear series but done better.

It's not like there's that much hum with the bridge soloed, certainly not as much as my old Mexi Jazz Bass; it's just not cancelling hum particularly well.

I'll take it back to the dealer in the summer.