Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Switching Query... 6 way?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by rojo412, Jan 10, 2003.

1. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I bought a book on electronics for guitars (and basses of course) and there is a section that shows how you can hook a 6-way rotary switch to a 4 lead PU + ground and have 6 different tones.

Well, I know it works, in the sense that it is possible. But is is noisy? Has anyone done this to a bass or guitar?

Let's use for example a SD MM style Hum with 4 leads... has anyone tried hooking one of these up to a 6 way rotary?
    Also, what about running 2 PUs this way with another 6 way as a selector switch? Any sites that have details on this type of practice?

2. Is there a diagram for it? If so can u scan it and send it on up? ;)

:D:D

Merls

3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

There are 6 ways to wire any humbucker pickup.

neck coil alone
    bridge coil alone
    parallel in phase
    parallel off phase
    series in phase
    series off phase

depending on the PU, only 3 or 4 of these usually are interesting in terms of sound and output.
    So, a 6 position rotary know would be funny but mostly useless. My 0.02 €.

4. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I'm afraid my scanner is not working, but jazz ad gave all the options. I was figuring that most of the options would be either blah or sound really similar. I was mainly wondering if putting one of these on would be noisy.

5. I've never done anything like that so i cant tell you if its noisy... ;)

:D:D

Merls