1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Switching Query... 6 way?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by rojo412, Jan 10, 2003.

1. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I bought a book on electronics for guitars (and basses of course) and there is a section that shows how you can hook a 6-way rotary switch to a 4 lead PU + ground and have 6 different tones.

Well, I know it works, in the sense that it is possible. But is is noisy? Has anyone done this to a bass or guitar?

Let's use for example a SD MM style Hum with 4 leads... has anyone tried hooking one of these up to a 6 way rotary?
    Also, what about running 2 PUs this way with another 6 way as a selector switch? Any sites that have details on this type of practice?

2. Is there a diagram for it? If so can u scan it and send it on up? ;)

:D:D

Merls

3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

There are 6 ways to wire any humbucker pickup.

neck coil alone
    bridge coil alone
    parallel in phase
    parallel off phase
    series in phase
    series off phase

depending on the PU, only 3 or 4 of these usually are interesting in terms of sound and output.
    So, a 6 position rotary know would be funny but mostly useless. My 0.02 €.

4. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I'm afraid my scanner is not working, but jazz ad gave all the options. I was figuring that most of the options would be either blah or sound really similar. I was mainly wondering if putting one of these on would be noisy.

5. I've never done anything like that so i cant tell you if its noisy... ;)

:D:D

Merls