1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Switching strings around

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Brian Austin, Sep 16, 2020.

1. Brian Austin

Brian Austin

Nov 1, 2019
    I was listening to a podcast featuring a couple of rockabilly/psychobilly bassists, and one of the guys used a term meaning he uses what is typically used as an A string in place of where the E string usually goes, uses what is typically used as the D string in place of where the A string usually goes and so on, but still tunes his bass EADG. Both guys in the podcast called that 'technique' something, a word, but I can remember what it was. And I don't wanna skim through the 4 and a half hour podcast searching for that 15 second bit. Do y'all know what the term for that is?

His reasoning was to make it easier to slap so he can play faster. I'm learning to slap and I was thinking this would be good to do to make learning a little easier. Thoughts? Anyone try this out? Tips on this, as well as preferred strings for slap/rockabilly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Wasnex likes this.
  3. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Tallahassee
    called bumped sets. its cool for tension, gauge is a little odd at first.

4. Brian Austin

Brian Austin

Nov 1, 2019