switching styles

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by ButCirrusly, Dec 20, 2000.

1. ButCirrusly

Dec 11, 2000
    I've been playing bass since I was 16, and now i'm 41! Wow!
    My Problem is that i've played country and or country gospel just about all those years! They say you can't teach an old dog new tricks, but I would really like to lean to play some of the new Christian Rock! But the patterns and rhythems are so different than what i'm use to, that it really seems hard! My Question is , "Should I even attempt to try this new style or stay with what I know and feel most comfortable with?"
    Your serious imput would really be appreaciated!

2. Yes, you can teach an old dog new tricks. We are the same age, and I too have been playing bass guitar (among other instruments) very a very long time. It may be comfortable - and fun to keep playing the same style again and again, but trying new things always keeps me more on edge. It keeps me from getting complacent, and getting a little bored.

Try it, you'll never know if you like it. until you do!!
  3. I've actually gone through something similar.

I've played in rock/hard rock/heavy metal bands for years and recently got an offer to join a pure funk band. It actually lit a spark and I'm more inspired then I've been in long time. It made me realize just how limited I was as a bass player. What I ended up doing is buying a bunch of CDs and immersing myself in them. I listened to only funk music and practiced only funk music for about three months. The great thing about it is that it added a new dimension to my bass playing as a whole, no matter what kind of music I play.;)
  4. dot74

Aug 24, 2000

I am at a point in my bass playing that I have to do something different every once in a while to keep me in the mood to playing the bass. I want to play and am learning to play metal of various types.......however the group of guys that I jam with every day of the work week like melodies such as the Eighth of February, and old Rock-n-Roll like the Eagles or Black Sabbath......they are also teaching me alot about theory and timing as well. So I say, go ahead and learn the new stuff that you are interested in, it will pay off whether you can see it or not.
  5. dytakeda

Jul 18, 2000
    ButCirrusly says:
    "They say you can't teach an old dog new tricks, but I would really like to lean to play some of the new Christian Rock! But the patterns and rhythems are so different than what i'm use to, that it really seems hard! "

I just walked the same path recently. I'd like to share my thoughts.

Of course it "seems hard." Anything we don't know how to do "seems hard." When you first picked up the bass, did it seem easy? Of course not. That's why we practice.

Which leads me to practicing what we don't know. If you think you don't need to practice, then you're not growing. Learning new things is exciting.

Finally, you said this was for Christian rock? Take the decision to the Lord. I can tell you what the Bible says in the parable of the talents. It's not the most blessed among us talentwise who are "good and faithful servants", instead it's the ones who do the most with whatever talent we've been blessed. God has entrusted you with certain abilities. Don't hide them under a rock. (You can look it up!) Look at Phillipians 4:13 too!

You said you wanted serious input!
  6. ButCirrusly

Dec 11, 2000
    Thanks to all the bassist who replied to my post! The replies really opened my eyes to new relms of playing. All the suggestions, past experiences, and encouragements really answered my questions, and made me feel really good inside!

Thanks again!
  7. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

After several years in metal bands, I switched to blues. I was 53 at the time. I tried to not only learn blues bass playing, but to learn as much as I could about the history and evolution of blues and tried to learn as much as I could about the great blues musicians of the past and present. It was a real challenge, but tremendously enriching. I learned to appreciate an entirely diffrent musical genre for me. So, I say to you, go for it. You are still pretty young, actually. You have time on your side. Take advantage of your relative youth and learn something new and rewarding.

Jason Oldsted
  8. FyrDogg

Dec 21, 2000
    I can understand what you are going through. I entered the Christian Rock arena as a bassist who had never played bass! I played guitar for fifteen years and the idea of switching instruments and genre at the same time was unbelievable! The result: I am really digging the new world I've steped into.

Some required listening: Third Day, DC Talk, and Bold Faith Type. (Sorry, I had to plug my band. It's a weakness)

Keep the faith!

BFT Acts 4:29
  9. dytakeda

Jul 18, 2000
    DC Talk's "Jesus Freak" is one of the best albums ever - Christian or otherwise. IMHO, of course. An unbelievable blending of a wide variety of styles. Some of it very raw and edgy, some of it very smooth and polished. A lot of great bass playing too! (Trying to stay on topic)

10. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

11. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

RickBass 1: I wish I had said it that well myself. Now I'm 57 and still have so much yet to learn it is almost overwhelming, but the excitement about bass playing never dims.

Jason Oldsted