1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Switching system?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Amoilbasso, Sep 30, 2000.

  1. Amoilbasso


    Apr 22, 2000
    I'd like to know if there is a system(a sort of "line box"for example)to switch 2 Amp head(Trace Elliot RAH 400 SMX/SWR SM400s)connected(in mono) to the same cabinets(2 Goliath3),instead of changing the cable all the times.
    Thank you
  2. Yes, there are switch boxes available exactly for that purpose. A guitarist friend is using one to switch between two different Boogie heads and one speaker stack.

    Unfortunately, I can't point you to exactly what you need, but I do know it exists.

  3. Doug


    Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    I think what you want is an A/B box. They usually run from $30-$90, depending on how much you wish to spend. I use a Morley A/B/Y box. A and B are to switch between the two and Y would combine them. The Morley pedal usually goes for $50. I believe DOD has one for $39. Check American Musical Supply. I know they have them.
  4. I don't think you can use a normal A/B box with speaker signals. Those boxes are designed for switching low-voltage signals, not speaker power. You need something specifically designed for switching speaker lines.

  5. mr t

    mr t

    Aug 24, 2000
    manhattan, ks
    i don't think this is a very good idea. most amp manufacturers recommend that you connect (and disconnect) the speaker cabinet to the amp while the amp is off.
  6. Someone makes a product for doing this safely. I just emailed my buddy who has one to tell me what it is. You can run the speaker line from two different amps into it and it has one line out to the speakers. You can actively switch between them and it maintains a load on the line that is not going to the speakers so you can use it with tube amplifiers safely. My friend uses it to switch between a Mesa Boogie Mark IV head for lead tones and a Boogie Mark III for his rhythm tone.

    When he gets back to me, I'll tell you what it is and who makes it.

  7. OK, what my buddy has that I was talking about is a Custom Audio Electronics Amp Switcher I. This thing can switch 4 amps into one cabinet. It is expensive though. amptone.com says the price is $999, which I have trouble believing, but there you go.

    While looking, I also found the Egnator SC-4 Simulcab. This thing switches one amp between 4 cabs with MIDI control. I assume that if it can do that, it can do the opposite too, meaning switch four heads between one speaker. The price given for this is $399.

    Now, is it still that much of a hassle to switch that cable? If you want to do it live on the fly you'll need one of these.

  8. JimS

    JimS Supporting Member

    I recall the THD Hotplate has some type of multi-amp or multi-cab switching. THD is known for guitar amps but this may work. If you can't find a web site, call M.A.E. music in Ft. Lauderdale and ask for Tommy (guitar) or Jeff (bass). They may be able to help. 954-581-2203.

    I'm not affiliated with them but have bought a reasonable amount of gear from them and they, especially Jeff, are very knowledgeable and honest. They are much better than the average neolithically incompetent music store salesperson.
  9. Amoilbasso


    Apr 22, 2000
    Thank you very much,guys!

Share This Page