Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

switching the pickups...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by kyo, Nov 27, 2004.

1. kyo

kyo

Jul 6, 2004
    i got some new pickups installed over thanksgiving. sound good, but i thought i told the guy which order to put them in...turns out i didnt. i just want to switch the pickups around. they're the same kind of pickups, just different exact models and specs...anyway. i only have literally $5, and whatever money i get will go towards xmas, so i cant get it redone. here are the questions:

1) would i need to solder anything to switch them around?

2) i would think the side effects would just be that the volume and tone knobs would now control the opposite pickups...is that the case?

2. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    what type of bass is it?
    what type of pups are they?

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I'm assuming you mean that you have two same sized pickup routes, and the pickup that was due to go in the bridge pos went in the neck position and vice versa?

If they're EMG's or Alembic then it's a simple job. They use solderless conncectors which can be unplugged/repluigged

If you are just doing a swapover as described above, then yes. If you have to re-solder then there's no reason why you couldn't correct that at the time.

Have you soldered anything before? Is this an active bass? If so, what preamp?

4. kyo

kyo

Jul 6, 2004
    thanks for the input david, fortunately i did a little research and found that while it wasnt the combination i wanted, it was the best for my situation. so its all cool.

oh and yes they were active EMGs