1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Switching to 6

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by braz_b2, Mar 25, 2009.

1. braz_b2

braz_b2

Mar 17, 2009
    How long did all you six string bassists play for before switching to a six string bass?
    I personally have played for six years, four years with a 4 string, and two with a 5. I love my five string schecter stiletto custom 5. But I guess its just natural for bassists to expand their range (or at least think about it). Maybe I should just head to GC and play around on one.

Thanks

2. 82Daion

82Daion

Nov 14, 2006
    I'd been playing for four years before I switched to a 6, and I've been playing it for about 3 months now. It didn't take me long to get comfortable with it, but it's only now that I feel as confident playing it as I do on my 4-strings.

3. I don't agree with that. I went from 4 -> 5 -> 4.
    I could probably get a bit of use out of a 5er but I don't even see the point behind a 6 unless you're right into soloing or chords.

4. Natrix

Natrix

Mar 21, 2009
    Sydney Australia
    I played 4 str for 13 years
    6 str for 6 years
    5 str (with high C) for 3 years
    back to 4 str for the last 10 years....= 32 yrs playing & man that went quick.

5. I played a 4 string for about 1.5 years before I picked up a 6 string, and I've now been playing 6ers for 5 years.

6. bassistgook

bassistgook

Feb 5, 2009
    I started playing a 4 for about 2 then moved up to a 5. After playing a 5 for 8 years I decided to move up to a 6. That was a year ago and I can't go anywhere without bringing at least bringing one of my 6 stringers. I still enjoy grabbing a 4 to mess with and for just jamming with friends.

7. I think I played guitar 4-5 years before I picked up a 4 string bass and played that for about 2 years before getting a 5, which took a little time to get used to. I think I waited maybe 3-ish years before grabbing my 6 string. It took almost no time to adjust.