switching to keyboards

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by 1dgbass, Aug 7, 2009.

1. 1dgbass

1dgbass

Jul 24, 2009
    Staten Island
    Hey,

I've currently been playing bass for about 2 and a half years and for my next instrument I was thinking of switching to keyboards instead of buying a new bass.

My question is that will the switch be that difficult, being that I have a ear now and have knowledge about notes and general issues regarding the keys. Any advice on starting with the keyboards would be great.

thanks
    d

2. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Sometimes you're the dog, sometimes the tree Gold Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Palm Coast, FL
    I started on keys then added other instruments - they all complement/supplement each other. I did keys, trombone, cello, drumset, mallets, latin and brazilian percussion, orchestral percussion (symphony), then bass... I still play a lot of the percussion, keys and cello.

Dan K.

3. As mentioned before skills from the bass will flow into the keyboard and then skills from the keyboard will also flow into the bass.

Playing piano in the usual since, melody with the right hand harmony with the left is not the only option open to you. You understand a bass line - play keyboard chord accompaniment to your melody vocals, i.e. play from lead sheet or fake chord. You can be doing this in a couple of months. Melody in the right hand in about a year.

It'll take some time right at first for your fingering and scale work, yep, have to do those scales. Hardest thing will be getting the left hand and the right hand working together. Most everybody starts with Alfred's # 1 instructional book. Of course a teacher is always the best way. If you want to go the self taught way here is an example of what you can do with chord accompaniment - using both hands.

Using fake chord sheet music and following the chord progression - Left hand play R-5 (sound familiar) then with the right hand sound the block chord 1-3-5 then sound the 5 with the left hand. R on the first beat, 5 on the second beat, chord on the 3rd beat and 5 on the forth beat. That's knows as the "pinky, thumb, chord, thumb" pattern. There are hundreds of patterns, but just like on bass you'll get your 4-5 favorite patterns and then mix and match them for your chord accompaniment work. Chord accompaniment works fine as long as someone else is providing the melody - that can be you singing or the rest of the band.......

Keyboard and bass are a natural. Have fun.

4. sackvegas

sackvegas

Dec 1, 2006
    I just got my first keyboard a couple of days ago, mainly to help with my Bass practice but can't wait to start learning...does anyone know a good website with free instruction?

5. Free stuff is a little hard to find. Here is a good forum and you can pick up things from there.
    http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/cfrm

Not free, but, a starting place.
    http://www.playpianotips.com/video/chordprogression.html

http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/Learning-Piano-with-Pete-Sears-DVD/8265517
    Well worth the $16.

Then there is always Google.

Good luck.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021