Switching to Mac...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by ChiliPepper, Nov 11, 2005.

1. We will probably buy the new imac G5 in 2 weeks and i'm not quite sure which one we should buy ( 17 or 20 inch ). Here are some of the specs :

17-inch iMac

Processor :1.9GHz PowerPC G5

Frontside bus : 633MHz

Memory :512MB of 533MHz DDR2 SDRAM (PC2-4200),

Hard drive : 160GB Serial ATA1; 7200 rpm

Slot-loading 8x SuperDrive (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW) ( both versions)

17-inch (viewable) widescreen TFT active-matrix LCD, 1440 x 900 pixels, millions of colors

Graphics :ATI Radeon X600 Pro with 128MB DDR SDRAM; PCI-Express

Ports : Two FireWire 400 ports; three USB 2.0 ports, two USB 1.1 ports (on keyboard); VGA output(2); S-video and composite video output(2) ( the same for both versions )

Audio :Built-in stereo speakers, built-in microphone, headphone/optical digital audio output, audio line in

20 inch mac :

Processor : 2.1GHz PowerPC G5

Frontside bus : 700MHz

Hard drive1 : 250 GB

Graphics : ATI Radeon X600 XT with 128MB DDR SDRAM; PCI-Express

some pics ... :) :

and a video

one thing is sure , since i want to use Garage Band a lot i need more RAM ! Wrong Robot , where are you ? :D

any advice is appreciated :)
  2. Congrats, and welcome to real computers. I wouldn't get a new Mac 'til after the Intel swithc myself, but if you can't wait, gor for it.
  3. Thanks :cool: I'm not quite sure about the intel switch...
  4. Well, assuming all other specs on the screen size are the same, a bigger (the 20") screen sounds nice. I would personally go with a more modular setup, but that's personal preference. The graphics on both models are a bit dated, but better than what alot of OEM computers come with. The 512mb of ram on the 17" (no ram info given on the 20") is definitely troubling, I'd at least double that. (even though it's very fast ram) I'd also consider some external speakers. You also might want to see if SataII hard drives are available; they're supposedly twice as fast. I actually have one in my computer currently, but it runs at SATAI speeds because my MB is older.
  5. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I use three iMacs regularly: a 20" G4 "iLamp" model, which is my personal machine, a 20" G5, which is my wife's new machine (she switched from 15 years on PC's because she was sick of adware and Viri), AND A 17" G5 that I just got this semester for my office at the U. Given the choice between the 20" and 17" G5 models, I'd choose the 20" model 10 times out of 10. First, because that extra bit of screen real estate is more than worth the price of admission, and second, because the screen on the 17" machine just doesn't have the same magic that the other two iMacs have in terms of clarity. I've also heard rumors that the 17" machines tend to run hot because of all the stuff that is packed into that small casing, but time will tell on whether that's just a rumor.

Either way, enjoy the new machine. OSX Tiger is a wonderful and elegant OS once you get used to it, and the lack of viruses is a godsend. Just a month ago, every PC in the school of music got gutted by a nasty virus, which almost brought administration to a full stop. We Mac users just churned happily along. :)
  6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Could you post some bigger pictures??

7. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    20" all the way!! Especially if you plan on wathing DVDs, mpegs, etc...on it. I'd go with at least 1gb of RAM if you plan on recording/editing music on it.

Oh yea...welcome to the varsity league. You'll be happy you switched. I'll be buying a new powermac G5 soon. Probably after the holidays.
  8. It's the same for the 20" . Defnitely not enough...as far as i know garage band loves RAM :meh: :D
  9. yeah i know , the ones i posted are kinda small. :D

edit : our computer is driving me nuts !! :mad: i have to reboot every 10 minutes
  10. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    If you can afford it add 1 gig...then you'll have 1.5.

Also, get apple care. It covers you on parts that you can't just go out and buy (If they should fail...which is unlikely).
  11. Better than a spyware remover
  12. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I switched from PC to Mac a few years ago. PC users have no idea of the bliss of OS-X. I hope you have fun with your new toy!!!
  13. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    You're making me and my pitiful G4 jealous... :(
  14. What about my B&W G3? Aw, she runs Panther and Ubuntu just fine.
  15. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I'd love to have one of those 20" G4 iMacs. They are so cool!

At the moment I have to go around with my three month old 12" iBook.. Bt crikey it's a bewdy!
  16. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I'd rather fight, than switch. :eyebrow:
  17. Why ?
  18. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I've used a Mac since they came out in 84. I love them.

Welcome to the world of ease of use, plug-n-play, easy updates, no pop-ups or virus' and great software like iTunes, iDVD, etc.
  19. X Wolf

X Wolf Guest

I'm using an ancient Gateway 650 MHz and I'm way over due for a new computer! I've always wanted a Mac so I'm going to visit the Apple store next week to check out the Mini-Mac's. I have a good 19" graphics quality monitor which I like so I don't think I want to spend more for an i-mac although I think they are amazing and if I were starting from scratch I would definitely go that route. Enjoy your new computer!!

20. i've heard some pretty good things about the Mini-Macs :) I'm sure you'll like them