switching to tic-tac bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Every1TookMyName, Oct 2, 2002.

1. No, not those ugly monstrosities you see Les Claypool play, I mean the cool tic-tac basses tuned like a guitar, but an octave lower (Fender VI, Danelectro Six String Bass).

Anyways, I need some ideas as far as amps (I want a warm, midrange sound... maybe running a guitar and bass amp at the same time?) and effects (distortion, delays, phases, etc.) go, and I'm wondering how practical it is. My playing style won't change all that much because I've always played pretty high up on the neck, and the twang won't bother me because I don't like a lot of bottom end in my sound.

I was thinking starting off with a Danelectro Six String Bass, then moving up to a warmoth... i was considering a reissue Fender VI, but they look kind of expensive.

2. there aren't any warmoth parts for tic-tac basses.

but you could also check out the musicman silhouette bass guitar
  3. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I was always skeptical about the ability of those tic tac basses to provide a good low bass sound. My skepticism was crushed though when I saw a Texas artist called Papa Mali at a music festival. He uses a Danelectro tic tac bass to create low dub loops! Amazingly it sounded good too. I don't think he was going through an octaver or anything either...just pretty much straight into a Boomerang pedal. Don't know how the other tones are on it but it worked for dub!

brad cook
  4. yeah, they have baritone necks
  5. baritone necks are a bit too short and you will have pproblems with finding a bridge that you can use
  6. Okay, I sent a pm to bwbass about it.

Anyways, what do you guys recommend for amps?

I was thinking maybe a guitar and a bass amp running a guitar and bass amp at the same time, or maybe even a keyboard amp. Or should I just use a guitar amp?????
  7. I would use a guitar head into a bass cab (without tweeter)
  8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Get the Danelectro for now, and start saving up for the Musicman.
  9. how come? I'm not trying to patronize you or anything, I'm just really in the dark as far as the amp part goes, and I'd like as much information as possible.

I was thinking Danelectro, then Fender VI reissue, but they seem kind of expensive. I really hope warmoth will be able to help me out with this. The Musicman seems to lack soul... believe me, I will still try one out when given the chance, it just doesn't seem to fit me, you know?

Also, do you guys know anything about the six string bass that Leo Fender was working on whenever he died? All I know about it is that it had humbuckers...
  10. US Custom guitars makes parts for a Bass VI.

The reissues are kinda pricey, but they are nice, I almost bought one, then I realized I was poor ;)

The danelectro will work for now.
  11. I would use a guitar head because tic-tac basses (especially the Danelectro) sound very guitar like and guitar amps just tend to be better for such things although you might also try a bass amp with a distortion pedal (of course if you only want to play clean get a bass amp and perhaps a reverb effect)

The reason for the bass cab without tweeter is that the increased bass frequencies might damage a guitar cab and that tweeters sound really bad with distortion (again it doesn't matter if you want to play clean only, although you should still use a bass cab)
  12. That sounds like a great idea. I plan to use both clean and dirty sounds, probably without reverb. I'll also be using a lot of effects, so I'm thinking I'll just get the dirty sounds from stomp boxes rather than from an amp.