Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Switching up basses to increase or decrease amount of strings...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Knavery, Oct 8, 2005.

1. 4-string to 5 or 6-string

41 vote(s)
    38.3%
  2. 5 or 6-string back to 4-string

17 vote(s)
    15.9%
  3. Started on 4-string and remained

44 vote(s)
    41.1%
  4. Started on 5-string and remained

3 vote(s)
    2.8%
  5. Started on 6-string and remained

2 vote(s)
    1.9%
  1. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    I'm curious. There have been a lot of 5-string basses being sold right now on eBay and in the Talkbass classifieds. I formulated a poll to see where a lot of folks lie. I actually was a guitar player for years before switching to bass, and picked up a 5-string for that reason. After years of having a low B in the way I never used, I switched to 4-string. I don't know if I could ever go back.

2. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    I just switched to five. You can really get a deep groove with that B string, I've learned that over the last few days. I'm still getting used to five, but I like it.

3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I played four-string for nearly 25 years. I switched to five back in Y2K and haven't looked back.

4. I switched from 4 to 6 about 6 weeks ago. Don't think i'll ever buy a bass again with less than 6 strings.

5. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Im looking foward to do the same 6 stringers are so da** useful. However my slap technique is really hard to play in anything with a string lower than E.

6. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I went from 4 to 5...then back to 4. I love the sound of the Low B string, but it just wasn't working for the punk rock band that I'm in. As for the metal band I'm also in...we tune down to C-G-C-F. I just put heavy gauge strings on my 4 stringer. I tried "up-tuning" the B string on a 5er to a C and adjusting the rest of the strings accordingly, but the tension was really weird and I was afraid that it would mess up the neck. Plus, I get confused with all those extra strings floating around the neck! ;)

7. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

I started on 4-string about 27 years ago. Went to a 5 in the early 80's, dabbled with a 6 a few years ago but never left 5's. They're sorta my thing and have been for years. Probably never leave.

However, my latest bass purchase is a 4-string hollowbody. I serously doubt it'll make me change my mind about 5-strings....but you never know.

dcr

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I startd 4, went 5, went back to 4.

9. loendmaestro

loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    I'm a bit of a purist. I've dabbled with fivers, but for me personally 4 is all that's required.

10. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I've played strictly fours from the beginning. A fiver or three is in my future - but it has to be just the right make & model. Too many of the five-strings I've played in the stores have B strings that are just too floppy, IMHO...

I love the idea of a six-string. Alas, I haven't been blessed with hands that are large enough to play one comfortably. My solution: Get a fiver tuned BEADG and another tuned EADGC (plus probably a fretless in standard tuning)...

MM

11. bassedsouth

bassedsouth

Dec 2, 2004
    bassedsouth
    I started on 4's back in 1980 ,and along the way have aquired a couple of 5's . At times I really get into my 5's but somehow always go back to my 4's .When I feel that maybe I should be only playing 5's I just think of what Jaco did with 4 string's and even what Jimmy Blanton did at the beginning of his career with his 3 string upright !
    I guess I also just love the feel of a good 4 string bass .

12. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    Went to a six a bit over a year ago. For a while I thought I woldn't get anything with less than six strings again, but I have recently fell back in love with my 4 and am looking for a good 5 to bridge the gap.

13. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I started on a 4, switched to 5 in 2001. Right now-i'm looking to add a 6 to my gear selection-i'm not sure if it would become my main bass or not.

That's all

14. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    After about 7 years on 4s, I picked up my first 5 about 3 years ago. It became my main bass for a while, but I switched back to a 4 as my main bass, keeping the 5 for those special occasions. I've picked up a 6 and another 5 in the past few months, and am starting to think that I'll never have a "main" bass again. I'm always in the mood for something different, so I think I'll be switching between 4, 5, and 6 pretty often.

15. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I basically only play 4 strings. But I wouldn't mind having an 8-11 string just for fun.

16. Fliptrique

Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification
    i`ve started on four, went through a few 5 stringers, bought a 6 string that was my only bass for the last 2,5 years. i`ve bough a 4 string 2 weeks ago, and I really love the comfort and ease of playing. I`ll stick for a while with it, but i`m seeing a 5 string in the future - I don`t really need that low B, but it`s a cool thing to have. I`ll probably won`t buy a 6 string again.

17. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I started on 4, added a 6-string in '94 and played that as well for about 10 years, but nowadays I'm solely back on 4's.

I, too, wouldn't mind a mega-extended-range bass to play around with though. ;)

18. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    I started on 4, currently looking for a cheap 6 (likely a Cort Curbow) to noodle around on and explore the possibilities, I don't see myself ever becoming specifically a 4 or 6 guy, they're both for different things imo.

19. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    For me it went as follows:

(6 - Guitar)
    4 - first bass
    6 - main bass
    (4 - an ABG for those acoustic jams; wanted at least a 5, but was inavailable, so I went with a 4)
    6 - almost finished, ready in a month or two

I'm open to 5s in the future, too, but as E-C.
    I feel right on 6s. Don't see why I'd need more strings (maybe it would be fun to have an octaved 6*2/12-er... better yet, that in fretless :smug: )

20. I switched to a 5 a few years back and never touched the 4 again until I bought a fretless that I could afford, that happened to be a 4. Now that I know that the fretless will work for me, I'm planning on upgrading to a 5 string as soon as possible! :D