Switching voltage on a voltage switchable power supply

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by cosmicevan, Jun 23, 2021.

1. cosmicevan

cosmicevan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Question for clarity...

can you switch voltages on a power supply that has switchable voltage while it is still plugged in? I ask because I always power down, but it would be a lot more convenient if I can just toggle voltages without turning things off...but I'm too scared to break something.

So if I have a cioks DC7 and a pedal that accepts a wide spectrum of voltages, if I wanted to compare impacts of different voltages...gotta power down between tries or its okay to leave everything powered on while making those changes?

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Hopefully it's okay because I do it all the time :)

cosmicevan likes this.
  3. revd

revd

Apr 11, 2020
    Yes, I was doing it with mine for exactly the reason of easy testing of what the impacts on switching were, before I suddenly thought "shoot, should I really be doing this?" but zero harm was apparently done.

(don't take that as a recommendation though! Just that nothing bad happened in my case)

4. cosmicevan

cosmicevan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Does anyone know for sure that this is safe? I very much appreciate all the live beta testers, but would love some piece of mind on this as I work to redesign my setup with a bunch of trials of things at different voltages.

5. RJ

RJ

Aug 17, 2000
    San Francisco
    You could try tagging one of the known DIY'ers or builders around these parts.

I always power down but it'd be nice to know for sure.

6. Best way to find out would probably be an email to Poul Ciok himself

7. revd

revd

Apr 11, 2020
    I'm not giving you a piece of my mind, sorry...

8. cosmicevan

cosmicevan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

even a small one...in a jar?

9. cosmicevan

cosmicevan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Took this advice. Here's what Paul had to say...

revd, gh0st42, LowRenzo and 1 other person like this.
  10. Great, that's good to know

cosmicevan likes this.
  11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021