1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Swollen Pickle possible problem with scoop control

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by moles, Jan 20, 2012.

1. moles

moles

Jan 24, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB
    I just picked up a new Way Huge Swollen Pickle (mk. II) a couple of days ago. And, after a couple of days of TB searches, yootoob demos, and hundreds of google searches (that all seem to bring back the same ad copy from Dunlop) I suspect I might have a problem in the scoop control circuitry on my unit. I'm hoping to get some more info from the users here so I can figure out if mine is functioning the way it's supposed to.

I'll also try to post some clips this weekend - tomorrow afternoon if I can, as I've got gigs tonight (plus a head cold I'm fighting off....) But for now a description of what I'm lead to believe should be happening vs. what I'm getting.

Okay first a couple of questions:
    1- When scoop control is fully clockwise at 5:00 - that is flat response (full mids)?
    2- The internal Voice pot - all the descriptions I've read say that it controls the "intensity" of the scoop, but one Youtube demo had mentioned they thought it controlled the frequency at which the tone stack scoop occurred. Any thoughts on this?

Here's is my actual problem. With just about ANY setting of the internal Voice pot, all I get out of the Scoop control is what I'd descripe as a Low Pass Filter effect. Quite low - 100hz would be a good stab in the dark. As I increase the Scoop control (turn towards clockwise...which should be dialing in more mids, right?) the rest of the tone gets dialed back in.

Now, I'll point out that when I say 'almost' all of the Voice pot settings do this - I mean that at the extreme clockwise or counter clockwise settings this isn't the case. And the highs/mids really 'snap' into the picture as the voice pot gets to that clockwise position. This kind of reminded me of the way some passive tone pots (on a bass) that have been on the fritz have acted.

All the pots on the Pickle feel solid, btw.

So - does this seem like normal response for this part of the tone controls on the pickle? I was really expecting to be able to dial gradually between a normal, Muff-esque scooped tone, and more mids. What I seem to be stuck with is some bizarre low pass filter that would bring reggae and dub players to the stage saying "dude, you got too much low end there..." or ALL the mids.

Sorry for the longish post - hopefully it's not too confusing of a read. Advice appreciated!

2. moles

moles

Jan 24, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB
    Bump - anyone have some insight here?

3. tomhanzo

tomhanzo

Apr 20, 2008
    West Virginia
    I just bought this pedal a few days ago. Mine does the same thing. I think its just the way it's made.

I've been setting the voice knob at about 4 and then using the scoop know around 3. It seems to make the pedal pretty flat with maybe a little mid boost.