SWR 10" speakers - movement!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by simpy1, Apr 8, 2005.

1. simpy1

Mar 31, 2005
    New Zealand
    Hey everyone. Being new to having nice-ish gear, I was wondering just how far the speaker cones in my SWR Goliath Jr. III should be moving? I was playing my Trace AH350 head through it, by itself, and hitting the low E made those speakers really move quite far! This was on volume 3 out of 10 and bass not turned up much at all. The cab is rated at 350 watts so should be fine, but I was getting a little nervous watching the cones move so far.

Should I be nervous, or should I crank it and only turn it down if it starts farting?
  2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    you can ask swr directly what the excursion of the drivers are. i and lots of others here have experienced the magical dancing drivers on cabs like swr. if you don't exceed xmax, they should be fine. you may want to tame the extreme low end eq if they start distorting.

hint - if they move say, three feet, that's too far. ;)
  3. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I noticed that my goliath II Jr's (same speakers) start to do that if I push them too hard. It bothers me to see that happen whether it hurts them or not, so I usually use two goliath Jr's and don't push them as hard.
  4. when i was touring and sharing equipment with another band, i noticed that the swr 6x10 we played through. well those 10´s moved like crazy every night! but it didn´t seem to hurt and he havnt destroyed it still 2 year later.
  5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i actually think it looks kinda cool........................... :p

but it could be indicative of a problem (i.e., you need another cabinet to get as loud as you want to). in any event, best thing to do is ask swr directly, (ask to speak to a tech) and get the xmax and/or excursion of the speakers. also see what they think of the speakers jumping like that.

soem of the cab guys will probably drop by here sooner or later and give you a much better explination of xmax, excursion, box tuning, usable low frequency, and such.
  6. That's odd, becuase when i smack the low B, volume at about 9:00 or 10:00 on my amp, I can barely even notice any movement at all out of my SWR 10's, plenty of volume, but they dont move much. Doesnt sound like something to really worry about. They just might get worn out faster.
  7. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    I shouldn't hurt them as long as you back off before you reach T.O.F. ;)
  8. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    On my SWR Workingman's 8x10 I've noticed that the speakers actually move a noticeable amount when I've got it cranked up on Mesa/Boogie M-Pulse 600. There doesn't seem to be any "badness" coming from the speakers, and they've been handling it for a while now, but I'd definitley like to know what the max extrusion for those speakers are.... off to call SWR.....
  9. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Speakers are supposed to move! That's how you get bass! High quality pro audio speakers are made to displace a lot of air, so seeing them pumping when playing at high volumes is what you'd expect. The ability of a speaker to move is named as excursion, and quality bass gear employs high excusion drivers because low frequencies require speakers to 'move air'.

Often, if you're going to damage your speaker from overexcursion, it'll be because you can't hear yourself on stage: When your rig is drowned out by the drummer/guitar/PA, you turn up and push your speakers too far, but you still can't hear the speakers, even as they wail in agony. You definitely can hear a speaker distorting as it exceeds its rated excursion capabilities (Xmax) normally though, so it's not a silent killer.

You'll be able to tell when your speakers reach too far over their excursion limits in your bedroom. If you're in your room playing bass and the speaker cones jump around at modest volume, you'll have to turn down the lowest frequencies (from your amp most likely), from maybe 60-80hz and below, to keep the amplifier/speaker from trying to reproduce that low information. That is, if you want to stop the speakers from moving. Some are made to move quite far, and at bedroom levels, if it sounds good, do it! Low frequency soundwaves require the speaker to move exponentially larger amounts of air as volume requirements increase, and your only simple solution is to turn down the bass. Engineering wise, this can be the result of a ported enclosure that is tuned too high, but you can't do much about that on a commercial cab.
  10. Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    i had a 4x10 goliath III and when i would hit a low D or E the speakers would move a lot. had it for about 3 years and never had a single problem. swr stuff is pretty bullet proof. i cranked that thing at every practice and gig.
  11. simpy1

Mar 31, 2005
    New Zealand
    Thanks guys. I'm sure they are fine, they sure sound good...and once I've paired it with a 1x15" they won't be pushed as hard anyway.

I'll email SWR (calling would be an expensive activity from New Zealand) and see what they say anyway.
  12. DeadPoet

Jun 4, 2003
    I had that too (woofer dancing) until I found out about how SWR amps work... the aural enhancer thing boosts lows in the same freq range as the bass knob (I'm talking my SM-400s here) and add the fact that these amps also reproduce down to 30Hz. The sum of all this sub-low frequencies is that it eats a whole lot of headroom of your amp (and speakers) while having the idea that you're not playing loud (fan starts pretty quick when playing)

I've now turned down the bass knob and leave it flat (with the upright i even cut to 10:30), leave the aural thingie at 1:30 (to me that's the SWR sound) and cut some 30Hz with the param.eq.

Result: amp seems louder, speakers dance less, i hear myself better, fan comes on waaaay later and P.A. guys stop complaining about sub-sub-bass coming from the stage :D :D

13. Viviuos

Jul 15, 2004
    Nehawka, Nebraska
    I had the opposite reaction when I first started playing bass. I was into car audio first and those speakers can move a few inches and that is normal. When I got my peavey 115 I was amazed at just how little the thing moved.
  14. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    You say it's your first experience with nice-ish gear. If your previous speakers were cheap, they probably had cheap suspension which limited their movement and in turn, their ability to be pushed hard and/or produce low notes.

Out of curiosity, what speakers were you using before you got the SWR's?
  15. simpy1

Mar 31, 2005
    New Zealand
    Yeah I also tried turning the really low frequencies down, and it worked well. The speakers sound just as loud if not louder, as well as a bit tighter sounding, and don't move as much. Still waiting to hear back from SWR though (I guess it is a weekend heheh)
  16. simpy1

Mar 31, 2005
    New Zealand
    I was using a Marshall B150 combo. Difficult to see the speaker, but it didn't appear to move very much!