1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SWR 12 Pack Closeout

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MrBonex, Apr 5, 2006.

1. MrBonex

MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    I see that SWR is discontinuing the 12 Pack and a few online shops are bombing them out @ $320 each and free shipping. So this seems like a great buy -- especially because this is their "pro-level" stuff.

I just bought 2. Jeez I hope I like 'em!

I'm not a tweeter guy. I prefer a "limited" frequency range you might say. If I'm using someone elses cab (in a shared backline for example), I'll just turn off the tweets and I'm a happy boy. And I really love 12s. Fatter than 10s and quicker than 15s.

I've done some searches for other's thoughts, but these boxes never really caught on. I guess we live in the age of the tweeter. No tweet, no sale.

I'll let you know how my Trace V6 and V300H likes these puppies once I get 'em out on a gig.

2. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Where are they selling them, on their own site or thru somebody else?

3. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    I got a chance a couple of years ago to play on one of the 12 Stacks (4x12) and it was really awesome. I really dig SWR Pro series cab's and the 12's sounded like using a Goliath III and a Son Of Bertha...all in one cab. It was a great cab. I'm sure the 12 Pack sounds good.

4. dharma

dharma Srubby wubbly

Oct 14, 2005
    Monroe, Louisiana
    I was lookin at a Berg 112, but this price is just insane!

Somebody hold be back.:eek:

5. THANK YOU FOR POSTING THIS!!!

I'm going to be pulling the trigger a little later tonight, I've been looking for a hot 2x12 cab for ages!

Thank you thank you thank you!

6. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I have a friend who uses a 2X12 and really likes it. If I didn't have a Bergie HT112 I'd be seriously looking.

7. ezstep

ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana
    I played a 2x12 Workingman's cab for quite a while, but years ago I purchased a new Silverado Special combo, with the Pro Series 2x12's. Huge, huge difference in sound. The Workingman's cab seemed thin compared to the combo. I still use the combo as my main rig, sometimes alone and sometimes on top of a BagEnd 1x15, depending on the venue.

I would highly recommend the 2x12 Pro Series cab.

8. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    damn! i bought one not long ago for $500 at a local music store. $320 is a steal! These are great cabs with a great overall tone and capable of producing deep, punchy bass. if only i needed another one...:bawl:

9. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Wow, these look pretty cool. You guys that have them sound off with some reviews!

You could use one with a tweeted cab (like a goliath Jr III) on top ...

10. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    What are the sensitivity and freq response specs?

11. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I've been searching for info, and it seems that they sold three of these.

12. ezstep

ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana

Seriously?

I turn the tweeter off when using the 2x12's. I can get all the mids and highs without the tweeter, even with my passive P-bass.

13. Newget

Newget

Mar 10, 2006
    I saw this about a week or 2 ago and seriously contemplated getting one but I couldn't find specs anywhere, not at the swr site at least. Anyone have the specs on these?

14. 26.5wx19hx16.375d
    63lbs.
    400 watts, 8 ohms
    56Hz-5kHz (-3db)
    103 db

15. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali

I can tell you that the 56 Hz is very conservatively rated. I am not an expert at this but I would guess that 56 Hz would mean a cab would roll off somewhere in the mid frequencies. These cabs go very low and, as mentioned in my other post, hit the deep bass range. It easily goes as low (at least to my ears) as my previously owned EBS 2x12 did, and that was rated down to 30 Hz. The low end is not artificial and "forced" or muddy sounding. It is pure, powerful, deep and defined low end. These were very much sleepers in the cab world, likely due to the lack of tweeter. Don't let it fool you. They are very capable in responding to any style of playing with great definition in all frequencies ranges. Of course, your ears may hear something different.

16. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    IM BUYING ONE TOMORROW!

17. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    This site makes me wish i had more money.

18. MrBonex

MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Whoa nellie! I come into the office and there's a BUNCH of replies! Who knew?

I have one question:

What does SWR make these boxes out of? Plywood? Crumbly stuff squeezed together with Elmer's? I couldn't find any info on the site -- including owner's manuals.

I would be VERY dissappointed if they didn't make 'em out of ply. Especially because these are supposed to be "pro." It seems weird that SWR wouldn't say anything about how they make this stuff. But, hey, I bought two. So we'll see.

Does anyone need to see pix when I get 'em? I never know if it's as important to show amps/speakers as it is to show basses. This TalkBass audience can be so fickle.;)

19. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I'd be up for seeing the cabs next to some other gear. With how they look in the picture-i'm thinking these cabs are pretty wide. The 2X12 i've got [Avatar] has the speakers in the diagonal configuration vs. just side by side. Hmmm