1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SWR 12" Re-cone

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sumtingwong, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Sumtingwong

Sumtingwong

Nov 25, 2011
    Central Pa
    Hey, Gang..

Can any of the gurus recommend a company who will re-cone an SWR 12" speaker from a Silverado special to original spec?

I hit SWR's website and the company they recommend hasn't responded.
    It's important (to me, at least..) that the original specs of the factory speaker be retained, and not just any old re-cone kit be thrown together.

Thanks!

2. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Pas and Bagend used to make speakers for SWR. If you post some pics of your speaker maybe someone here could help ID its brand. Then you could contact the manufacturer about having it re-coned.

3. Sumtingwong

Sumtingwong

Nov 25, 2011
    Central Pa
    Thanks!

I'll pull it out tonight and snap a few pics.

4. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    circuitshop.com

5. Since the Fender buy-out, all you'll get from them is an Eminence with similar specs. Many of the early 12" SWR speakers were Celestion K12T-100 which was propietary to SWR but are common in the UK. The mid-sixties Vox AC-30 amps used them too. My local rebuilder here in Austin ripped mine apart to measure it and then couldn't find any parts domesticly to fit it. Orange County Speaker Repair in CA repairs them for $75 + shipping. http://www.speakerrepair.com/ocsrepairprice.html

6. exmaxima1

exmaxima1

Jan 27, 2009
    Geneva IL
    Parts Express is AFAIK the largest reconer in the USA, and would have the largest stock of replacement parts. Cost is $63:

http://www.parts-express.com/speakerrepaircenter/index.cfm