1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SWR 15 Workingman, combo New speaker? Disabling limiter?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by StringThing, Mar 7, 2008.

1. StringThing

StringThing

Dec 6, 2007
    San Diego
    It's funny that it is called a Workingman 15. That's where I'm having an issue. actually hearing the name was enough to have me grab one. Replacing a 18" cab, 4x10 cab and SVT head with a 60lb 15"combo with horn seemed great for my rock band. We have a controlled drummer and 30watt tube guitar amps. So I figured I'd be heard. At practice the amp is about at it's limit. Live, I'm bumping the clip and limiter constantly. And I do not at all have a crazy good bottom like I want from a 15.

What I do like is how it sound to practice or record. Very clear and uncoloring. Quite nice. Works great for acoustic guitar too. Great to use in practice and not run down the $$$ gear.

A feature of the combo is the ability to drive another cab and raise the watts from 120 to 160. I can bring an 18 with me, but i might as well bring the big rig.

SO there is a limiter disabling feature I'm scared to use for fear of blowing the speaker. I'm assuming that would allow for the full 160W? Is my answer that simple...

Would a new speaker give me the bottom and the protection against, I assume 160W with the limiter disabled?

2. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    what I understand from your post is "what does workingman mean??" My perception and yours are DIFFERENT. I understand it as "an amp that a WORKINGMAN can afford" rather than a "rock star"?????

I think your expecting too much from a 120w 115.

adding another cab will help increase your volume, but It may never sound as big as your other rig.... SORRY....

AND I WOULDN'T RECOMMEND DISABLING YOUR LIMITER....

3. StringThing

StringThing

Dec 6, 2007
    San Diego
    I understand your perception, except that a Ampeg combo I borrowed once did cut it with bottom at less wattage. I was wondering if it could be a 160W with a pull of a knob, or is it still 120W. If I blew the speaker, fine, I'm sure an aftermarket speaker could handle it's 160W, and give the bottom perhaps. The amp is excruciatingly close to doing it's job. I'm not looking to replicate my big rig, but a 3 gigs a week, and many of the quick set-up hour slots, you can see my need. When I say rock, I'm not talking metal by no means. I'm sure this amp has put many user in the exact same prediction, I was curious to hear if anyone had any insight or aftermarket solutions.

4. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I have been forced to use a Workingman setup (head/4x10) which was the house rig. I fiddled with that thing for a long time and the only way I could get a decent sound, was to disable the limiter. With the limiter enabled it sounded very choked - especially in the bottom end. Without it, the sound opened up some, but I still wasn't too impressed.

I personally see no problem with disabling a limiter...just make sure you listen to the speakers for distortion. They will let you know when the amp is too loud. Also, if the cab has a tweeter, turn it way down to be safe.

5. Disabling the limiter WILL NOT increase the wattage.

Mike